Largest Lake Ontario Salmon Ever caught by trolling

I was wondering if anyone knows what is the largest king salmon ever caught on Lake Ontario by a troller. I know the overall record is some 47+ lbs from the Salmon River on a fly, but i would love to know about the biggest king ever caught from a boat, while trolling. ..... steve

About 5 years ago Roy Aldous from Rac Spoons in Ontario, Canada sent me a newspaper article with a picture claiming to be a 46 lb. King Salmon taken on a black/purple Rac spoon off Lake Ontario. Not sure if true or not but I think the weight was 46 lbs. and an Ontario record.

In 1999 a 42.11 lb. King was taken out of Oswego, NY by a 17 year old student that won the LOC that year and I believe to be the largest King ever weighed in the LOC Derby.

All I know

Tom

im thinking it was a 46.15 caught during one of the early fall e.s.lo's. i saw the fish.it was huge broad male laying on the bottom of an old bait tank at vic's. we use to stay at harry's across the bridge..another fine establishment from the old days :clap: and as we headed for the scales with our 32lber thinking we had something :rofl: . we glanced over into the bait tank and saw the beast. wish i would of had a camera and took some pics.maybe dave has records in the archives to confirm it. from what i remember it was caught on the flats on a williams wobbler.

I just confirmed the Ontario, Canada record so it must be true:

There are several varieties in Lake Ontario when you are out for a day of Toronto salmon fishing. When you take a Toronto Salmon Fishing Charter in the fall, you are likely to catch Chinook salmon. You won’t want to miss Toronto salmon fishing when the amazing fall salmon spawning runs at the Credit River in Port Credit, Mississauga. If you’re lucky enough to hook into a trophy size Chinook while Toronto salmon fishing, hang on tight because you’re in for a great fight. The Toronto salmon fishing Lake Ontario record is 46.38 lbs. They are 24 - 44" long, have spots on both the upper & lower portions of the caudal fin (tail) & a totally black mouth.

also got to see a 43 + lb. king weighed in at 4'cs. during a fall e.s.l.o some yrs. later. not sure when e.s.l.o. transfered to the l.oc...this one was a silver football female. totally different looking fish.hopefully dave has some records to confirm the weights.there use to be a bunch of big kings weighed in at the oak back then. the way the spring started i thought we might see that again.

Actually the largest verified salmon ever taken in Lake Ontario IS NOT a Chinook but an ATLANTIC holds the record for heaviest...

WAS NOT CAUGHT TROLLING THOU......... commercial fishing late 1800's

JERRY

RUNNIN REBEL

Wow....46.38 pounder !!!! I'm trying to picture a king that big being lifted into a boat , and imagine the thud it would make hitting the deck!!! :beer::yes: Records are made to be broken..... hoping someone can break the open lake record and overall state record this year or next year!!! Thanks for the info Tom and Lady Blugill....choo-choo steve