Rehab for an old SeaNymph

Just figured I'd post the progress on this as it moves along...

I ended up having to sell my last small aluminum boat a few seasons ago and have missed it ever since. I primarily used it every month through the winter on the Lower Niagara and for shoreline trolling when the ice wasn't too bad. I love my bigger boat, but missed the mid-winter fishing.

I ended up finding a 1987 SeaNymph FM161 (Fishing Machine model). She was pretty cheap but needs some work. The interior is almost shot so she'll get new plywood and carpet. The hull is in great shape and is my first aluminum hull with absolutely zero leaks.

When I picked it up-

post-152394-13713526223765_thumb.jpg

post-152394-13713526526633_thumb.jpg

I already have new seats, marine carpet, and plywood. Figured it should probably have a cover before all that work so got busy with the industrial sewing machine and some Sunbrella I had left over from my last cover.

In the works-

post-152394-13713528635941_thumb.jpg

Complete-

post-152394-13713529608326_thumb.jpg

I planned on keeping everything "budget" for this boat, but how am I ever going to troll without a little kicker? I hated spending the cash but the security of a second motor is priceless when it's 10 degrees out and you're on the water.

Added a 5hp Tohatsu-

post-152394-13713530828155_thumb.jpg

That was all done over the past few weeks.

Future work-

Paint the interior and exterior. Replace floors and carpet, Mount two of my riggers that I can borrow from the other boat. Mount my old planer mast (thank God I saved it). I'm sure I'll think of something else to add... lol.

Good going sure save the old $$$$ being handy and doing the stuff yourself.  I don't think you'll regret having that back up motor for a second....mine saved my butt recently.....good luck with the rest of the project....you're going to have a real nice rig when you finish....

Thanks Sk8man. I don't think I could even fish comfortably without knowing I have a backup. Plus it gave me a chance to add to the Tohatsu collection...lol.

More parts came yesterday- a nice older FishHawk 840 from the classifieds here, and my paint (DuPont Imron 3.5).

post-152394-13714367441117_thumb.jpg

Hope to maybe get the paint done this week but its a pain. Need to be on supplied air because it contains Isocyanates that are no joke.

Also dug my other Garmin GPSmap combo unit out if the closet. Can now steal the map chip out of the big boat too when I need it.

post-152394-13714369999257_thumb.jpg

I should modify the title to "older" SeaNymph... lol

I hear you Salmonite, I really think this model suits me fine for what I need, and I found it hard to match the hull thickness with a new boat without dropping major $$$. My goal was to keep it cheap, but still rig it with some of the necessities so when I can't find someone to go with me in my other boat, I can easily have a chance solo in this boat (as long as its nice out).

Just figured I'd post the progress on this as it moves along...

I ended up having to sell my last small aluminum boat a few seasons ago and have missed it ever since. I primarily used it every month through the winter on the Lower Niagara and for shoreline trolling when the ice wasn't too bad. I love my bigger boat, but missed the mid-winter fishing.

I ended up finding a 1987 SeaNymph FM161 (Fishing Machine model). She was pretty cheap but needs some work. The interior is almost shot so she'll get new plywood and carpet. The hull is in great shape and is my first aluminum hull with absolutely zero leaks.

When I picked it up-

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByLake Ontario United1371352601.685143.jpg

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByLake Ontario United1371352641.520308.jpg

I already have new seats, marine carpet, and plywood. Figured it should probably have a cover before all that work so got busy with the industrial sewing machine and some Sunbrella I had left over from my last cover.

In the works-

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByLake Ontario United1371352856.979269.jpg

Complete-

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByLake Ontario United1371352933.953387.jpg

I planned on keeping everything "budget" for this boat, but how am I ever going to troll without a little kicker? I hated spending the cash but the security of a second motor is priceless when it's 10 degrees out and you're on the water.

Added a 5hp Tohatsu-

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByLake Ontario United1371353075.786492.jpg

That was all done over the past few weeks.

Future work-

Paint the interior and exterior. Replace floors and carpet, Mount two of my riggers that I can borrow from the other boat. Mount my old planer mast (thank God I saved it). I'm sure I'll think of something else to add... lol.

hi got a weak floor also aroud seats.plan on covering some day with coosa,synthetic board an leavinf rootn wood.it's expensive but needs no fiberglass or vinyl

Edited by john1947

That sounds like interesting stuff. I'll have to check it out. I'm stuck redoing the floors because the last person to do it used 3/8 plywood.

Figured I'd post some progress from today. Began ripping out the interior to get the new pieces cut and carpeted. I'm no professional but after doing four boats I have my own ideas on how I like to do things.

I was never really impressed with all the hype about marine plywood, and at $92/sheet I haven't found it worth the cost since the first time I used it. I soon switched to hardwood ply that I cut and then 100% polyester resin coat.

For this boat and the last I switched to exterior plywood with a sealing/bonding coating on all surfaces. It waterproofs the wood completely and promotes a stronger bond between the wood/glue/carpet.

-stripped out parts

post-152394-13720415524834_thumb.jpg

-5/8 plywood (didn't need to go 3/4 on this boat

post-152394-13720414915243_thumb.jpg

-laying out the new wood to carpet (black coating is the sealer/bonder)

post-152394-13720416162027_thumb.jpg

-getting closer

post-152394-13720417407366_thumb.jpg

-set in place to test

post-152394-13720418022758_thumb.jpg

post-152394-13720418756725_thumb.jpg

Hope to get the floor and front deck area completed during the week.

Skipped hitting the lake today due to their stupid reports of thunderstorms in the afternoon, and got a little further.

Epoxy primer down with first coat of base.

post-152394-13725415630804_thumb.jpg

Test fit some of the interior to see how it will look.

post-152394-13725416114969_thumb.jpg

Mounted the flush-mount rod holders for the riggers.

post-152394-13725417302985_thumb.jpg

post-152394-1372541749457_thumb.jpg

Had some leftover King StarBoard plastic and mounted the new transducers.

post-152394-13725418248528_thumb.jpg

Edited by Meals-On-Reels

• 2 weeks later...

did a nice job looks great.it will alst you awhile just dont let it stand uncoverd or the ply will rot like mine did.

Thanks! A new cover was first on the list. The old floor sat rotting in there for two many years from the last guy.

Today's progress...

Paint done-

post-152394-13733387569956_thumb.jpg

New water-proof floatation in-

post-152394-13733388780719_thumb.jpg

Floor down and seats ready to be mounted-

post-152394-13733389571042_thumb.jpg

post-152394-13733390288012_thumb.jpg

Just have the bow area left and then bolting down the elec. trolling motor, cleats, rod holders, and stuff like that. After that it'll be the outside and some new graphics which can wait a little.

I decided to totally redo the interior of my 89 Sea Nymph GLS 220. What I thought would be a simple 1-2 week project has now turned into an entire summer project. All carpeting replaced even in cuddy, all seats, storage boxes, and compartments redone, fuel tank checked and cleaned with new clamps, seats and trim reupholstered! 200 rivets 2 gallons of carpet glue, and sore hands and she is almost done. Now the push is on to get her finished so I can actually fish! Can't wait to sling a slimy, bloody 30lber onto the new carpet on my deck floor and dirty it all up! These boats sure require a ton of work, but they are nice when done.

You should check the transom closely also. When the floor went bad in my 86 Sea Nymph,

the transom was also getting soft and I replaced it at the same time. I used pressure treated plywood and fiberglassed it. That was about 15 years ago. Its still solid.

• 4 weeks later...

I was just thinking....kind of neat the level of support you get from other folks on this site from other guys....not your avarage website :)  and most wives would probably say "Oh that's nice dear, but did you clean up that mess ouside" ? when you finished the project :lol:

For guys replacing boat floors I would recommend a synthetic floor or presure treated plywood..Coosa is one but there are others cheaper.One thing is you dont need to fiberglass or cover the floor and it will never rot.My 19gls has some weak areas around the seats but ok for now.Keeping a boat dry while out of the water will extend it's life indefinely along with motor preventive maintence.I still have my old out boards and they still run like new.A 1988 120 evinrude,9.9 1981 evinrude and a 1978 9.9 johnson.

Thanks everyone for the positive responses. After doing several boats I'm sold on doing it this way. If it was a boat I intended to keep for many years it would be fiberglass resin coated ply and nothing else. I fought with treated in the past and the quality of it (4-ply and not surfaced or filled) was far from acceptable. I prefer a high quality 5-7 ply. With the resin (epoxy or polyester) I never have to worry.

Everyone has their own preferences I guess. Some people hate carpet too but I can't stand not having it.

The boat is rented out for a week or to (a friend fishing up north), then the outside will get some attention. Already have the paint and printed the stripes and graphics the other night. Can't wait!

• 2 weeks later...

Fishy..I have an 86 Nymph Fishtracker as well and I may need to do the transom wood. Can I do this myself, or did you have it done ? I restore antique canoes so the wood work is no issue, but I wonder about the rivets etc. I do recall some big black ants got in there years ago.

As an aside...I recently replaced a canoe trailer deck with  some sheets of a new  roofing material ....ie. like oriented flake board soaked in epoxy , compressed and in 4x8, and fairly cheap. It seems indestructible and will not rot.  Have you used this prodduct for flooring ? Thanks ..Dave