Fishing the Canal (Rochester/Henrietta)?

Anyone on some advice/guidance on fishing the Canal?  Live in the Henrietta are and going to litterally be a stones throw away from it when move down around River Rd, this April/May.  Want to take the boy for some general fishing.  Any advice - can you just thrown anywhere on the canal or certain areas in/around the Henrietta area???

Thank YOu!

• 3 weeks later...

The canal is a better fishery than most people think . I've caught smallies largemouth perch pike crappie walleye pan fish . If you just want the boy to catch some just grab some worms and pick a spot . If you have some locks close by...sit there and enjoy the plethora of fish !!! Hope that helps a little .

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

The canal is indeed underrated. I live on it in palmyra. I drive thousands of miles a year chasing muskie. But when i just want to catch fish i walk out back with a can of worms and have at. . Every non trout species is there and they are hungry. My wife thinks i'm nuts to drive to the Larry or Chatauqua and get blanked when there are so many fish right here. But she's not muskie sick like i am.

i used to fish the canal from greece west all the time ther are a ton of smallies in there and pleanty of largemouths and even decent pike and walleye.  if the kid is old enough to do it just keep walking and casting i found the fish there were not real well fed and as a result supper aggresive if there was a fish in site of te lure i would get hit on the first or second cast in every  spot and if i missed one I could get it to hit again in just a few mins.  small spinners or cranks are good lots of vibration and flash.  I used to spot them and cast well away just to watch them charge 20 to inhale a bait.  if your up for still fishing take some corn and chum there are loads of carp and if you can get them to stay in an area its a full day of fun.  if your real close make a habbit of throwing a couple handfuls of corn out multiple times a week than there will always be carp around you may even get some big cats out of it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd look for bridges with natural stone walls. I find walleyes under them. Had four yesterday in fairport canal. Thank goodness for the bridges, that lightning came through quick.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Don't forget the Genny, Oatka Creek and Mendon Ponds!

Genny and especially Oatka are great places but a PFD is derigure for children.

I used to fish Mendon Ponds on occasion since I was a kid but it seems to have gone down hill fast. I was there two years ago and fish were far and few between, algae was suffocating the plant life, and it smelled like a sewer. When I got home I had to wash my anchor line because the stench was so bad. In the old days there were sizable pike and bass there along with a zillion sunnies, bullhead and perch. I asked DEC about it and they said that a lot of ponds are suffering because of Canada Geese.

Another place to checkout is the DEC pond in Avon. It has a lot of hungry fish and is easy access.

Yet another place is Powder Mill Park.

• 2 weeks later...

I put in on the ayralt rd launch. I find all my fish within a mile north or south of that area. Bridges and certain rock walls adjacent to varying structure is a key.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app