Cayuga- Need some advice on location and strategy for this time

Thinking about making the trip in the next week or two depending on my schedule and weather.  I will be in a kayak so I cant travel all over the lake.

Where would you suggest?  right now im thinking im going to launch at  tunkhannock or myers .  I am going to target lake trout.

I know for summer people say fish around 90ft deep with jigs or a lake wobbler and worm set up.  Same with current conditions or will they hug the shore line?

any advice would be great, thanks alot.

To target lakers from a kayak this time of year I'd go out of Dean's Cove or Long Point.  And fish from just south of the launch towards the silos on the west side, or north of Long Point on the east.  The bottom structure is a little less varied so it's easier to stay in your depth.  There are also going to be more fish up there than around Taughannock.  You could also try the south end just past the drop off.  Avoid the middle of the lake.

Most lakers will be deep still, well over 100'.  Your best bet is to work shallower flats looking for feeding fish.  They could be anywhere from 40' on out. I'd start in 60-80 and expand outwards if I didn't find anything, then start looking in the 120'-150' range if there wasn't anything shallower. Not always easy to find this early, most are still very deep. 

Edited by hermit

Have fun!  If you're looking shallow keep moving around, there will be small scattered groups of fish.  You can get few right in a row often, then have to go on the search again.  The deep fish will be easier to find but if you can find them shallow in the spring they're usually cruising for a meal and happy to bite.  Any bait you see is good to fish under.

Agree w hermit, fish extreme dropoffs or ledges, feeding fish will trap bait fish in these spots. Dont have to be too deep. 50 ft not outta question. Big live bait like sawbellys or zoom minnows w heavy head. Try anise oil on hands an bait

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Taughannock is where most lake trout like to hang out this time of the year, with a steep drop off and lots of structure.I'd hate too roll a kayak in Cayuga lake this time of the year!

Agree, I have a sit on top and its pretty stable and hard to tip.  Last time i went to Cayuga the waves were crazy, my not windy day ended up be very windy.  but the kayak handled it fine.    Plus I where my life jacket and its easy as pie to get back into my kayak if I flip it.  

If things look good I might go friday or sunday