What's up with this reel

Xxx

This winter my uncle did a remodel job for this elderly lady and he had to go into the garage to shut off the power and he saw a pile of line counter reels and trolling rods he asked the lady what she was going to do with the fishing stuff and she told Dave if you know someone who could use it, you can have it, so he brought them along and gave it to me, it was the best birthday gift I got in a long time, anyway there was 2 Mitchell RipTide 70CD, so I stripped the old line off and was putting new line on when I noticed that the line counter wasn't reading in feet and was to far along with the process to quit, so I pulled a section of line out and measured it, it measured a little over 3ft, OOH well, so I did some research on this reel and found out, on Iboat that some of these reel measure in yards, and some in meters, the one's I got measure in meters, YAA' it's close enough to a yard so I just have to remember that when letting line out, did anyone else hear or see one of these reels?     :wondering:  :thinking:   PAP

Edited by pap

My uncle came over yesterday and we measured the line, and it measures just shy of 5ft, so I'll just have to remember to go 5ft increments when letting line out, that's easier than counting by 3's, not the end of the world, but definitely different, the reels are really smooth and nice drags and they can handle a lot of line, after a hundred yards of 25# Berkley big game I was able to get 280 yards of power pro 30# on. I use a Berkley line counter to see the footage of backer line on or I use it to put 300 yards of power pro on then fill the spool and then transfer to the same make reel  then I watch to see how many feet of backer it took then I know how much backer to put on the next reel of the same make, make it easier with the Berkley line counter until it's off to the next kind of reels. I have the same 4 reels for my rigger rods and 4 of the same reels for my trolling rods and a mix bag of reels for my lead cores and a mix bag of reels for my wire, and other rods, I have a total of 13 that I acquired over the years most are older reels I rebuilt with upgraded drags in most.

The counter is a reference.How would it be possible to accurately  measure distance by how many times the spool revolves when full or empty?

Always nice to get a gift like that.

I didn't mean I'm counting the spool rev. I meant to say, when the #1 on the counter comes up I have just shy of 5ft of line out. On iboat there was a topic about these reels and one fellow said he had one of these reels, and some measured in yards and some read in meters, and this reel measures 5ft when the counter reads 1,10ft of line out when the counter reads 2 and so on and it's accurate all the way, we went out to 80ft, and it was right on the money, we thought if it was messed up it would start to become inaccurate after awhile.Thanks for taking a interest on this odd but  interesting reel. PAP.

Pap,Isn.t it a gear driven counter like most other line counters? If so ,it is probably in sync w/ the main gears & would be driven by spool revs . If that is the case than the diameter of a full spool vs an empty spool would be diff,wouldn't it ? or am I missing something ?

Yes, the counter is driven by the spool gear, that's why it is important to calibrate your reels. First thing I always do, is I always over spool my reels a little, then to calibrate the reel to a 100ft. What I do is drive a stake in the ground and measure out a 100ft using a contractors tape and mark my 100ft, then I go and hook my line on the stake, and walk back to my 100ft mark, and see what my reel reads, by over spooling the reel a little, I will have to remove line from the reel for it to read 100ft, if the reel reads more than 100ft you will need to add line, so don't cut the line from the filler spool until your reel is calibrated to read 100ft on the counter and be at your measured 100ft mark. I like to pull line off my reels till it reads 100ft on the counter and the tip of the rod is on my 100ft measured mark, usually this is a 2 step ordeal, then I put the extra line back on the filler spool, then I reel the line back on the reel keeping the line tight back to my stake, then I walk back to my 100ft measured mark and usually I have 100ft of line out off my reel and I should be at my 100ft measured mark at the tip of my pole, now that reel is calibrated to measure 100ft of line out, I'm usually pretty sweaty till I'm done, but I know all my reels are measuring the same 100ft of line out on all of my reels. I'm sure there is a easier way but this is how the PA. Dutch do it. hope this helps you. PAP.