45Lb. Copper Reel

Good evening Gents,

I want to set up a 300', 45Lb copper rod.

I bought a Penn 309 reel, and the line fits, but I can't get the splice from copper to flouro to get through the reel (I've tried albright knot and Spro heavy swivel).

What reel has a a big enough opening to get the splice through.

WB

Overcurrent

RE: the Penn 309 -You can take some pliers or even a screw driver  and carefully wedge open the level wind line guide on the Penn 309 to accomodate the swivel. I've done it for years and even took the thing out on some of mine that I use with wire for Seth Greens so the bead chains come through without problem.

Edited by Sk8man

RE: the Penn 309 -You can take some pliers or even a screw driver  and carefully wedge open the level wind line guide on the Penn 309 to accomodate the swivel. I've done it for years and even took the thing out on some of mine that I use with wire for Seth Greens so the bead chains come through without problem.

i did the same thing with my penn and 300 copper. i used a screwdriver and bent it open just enough

Wedge it yes... but not too much! It will fall out of the track on the top. I also have a 309 with 30 lb copper. Knot transitions on copper have been trouble so I use no knot hollow core splices. No more knot troubles.

cent frum my notso smart fone

Another thing to remember is to keep that line guide in sync with the line as it's rolling on or off the spool. Should the line guide end up on the right end of the spool but the line is coming off the spool from the left, a tremendous amount of stress is put on that tiny pawl that rides in the worm gear. Typically, this happens when the line is reeled completely through the guide and onto the reel. A few cranks of the handle and you're out of sync. If it's a 309M, here's the replacement part, should you need one.

http://store.scottsbt.com/46-309-Line-Guide-P2405C234.aspx#