Keuka 7/13-14 - skunk continues

...He said the spot was down a few hundred yards where you can smell the lakers were feeding. I did notice certain areas I had hit had the distinct dead fish odor, yet it was isolated to certain areas. my question for the forum is for any further information regarding this. I had never heard of actually smelling areas where heavy feeding had gone on. I am interested I any details regarding this.

Can't say I've noticed a smell, but have been in areas where heavy feeding has been going on.  Lots of floating dead and mangled alewives, obviously chewed on.  I suppose they would give off an odor but I didn't think to sniff.  Often good fishing if the bait is still there!

Tg8 - I have noticed there are often 'slicks' on the surface with bubbles and wondered if they result from trout feeding on sawbellies. Last summer I jigged some of them and caught fish. Never noticed a 'fishy' smell though. I will have to take another look at them next time I get out.

Also FWIW - was out yesterday AM and caught one laker off Marlena Point, jigging with a trailer fly tied to the jig hook. Fish took the trailer fly which was about half the size of the jig/fluke.  Been getting bumps and nips with no hookups, and wanted to present something smaller.  Tried using half a fluke on the jig, but the slot in the middle makes it hard to get it to ride on the jig the right way.

Another question is if I want to use a second rod that could be left unattended while I jig with the other, what should I put on the second rod? 

Lots of questions I know...

I like putting out an alewife either under a slip bobber or free-roaming, targeting silver fish.  Makes for a nice change of pace from the lakers!

Also, yes especially on Keuka's smaller fish a trailer is a great idea.  You'll catch many more fish.  I've had days there it's at least tripled if not quadrupled the hookups.  My favorite setup there is a paddletail on a jig with a trailer hook attached at the jig eye, threaded twice through the plastic body and trailing behind the plastic about 1/2-3/4" (the entire hook is this far behind the tail).  Using the trailer fly is cool too, same idea as a peanut.   Also you could try some other brands of plastics and paddletails if you don't like the slot.  

Alec

Edited by hermit

Lively1- Just read your post where you took off at 20mph with the fish stringer out. Would make a recommendation. Most lake trout come out of water that is 50 degrees or cooler. I have found they taste much better if they are kept in a cooler with ice (or ice packs) after they are caught. I believe they deteriorate very fast on a stringer in 70 degree summer water temps. Just a thought.

Yes Al is right and it also is a good idea to bleed them out before putting them in the cooler with the ice for maximum freshness.

Fishing report -  Jigged Penn Yan arm from Olney's down to bluff this morning from about 6:30 - 9:30 AM, with a buddy. Hooked 4, landed 2!  1.5 or 2 oz jigs with flukes were getting bit; flukes were all white paddle tail, and pearl with green metal flake.

Larger fish that I took home had a fat belly - turns out she had a load of good-sized eggs and an empty stomach. Normal for this time of year?

Couple other crazy things happened.. got the big fish up on top and my buddy is just getting ready to slide the net under, and ptooey! goes the jig.. Oh no! I scream.. but my buddy did a miracle net job and managed to catch it before it took off.

The other was I got a hit on the drop, set the hook and then the fish disappeared.. I was reeling like mad trying to get the slack up but couldn't get tight to the fish.. thought it must have got off somehow.. then "SPLASH" on the other side of the boat, and 'pting!' line breaks. Neither of us saw the fish, but never heard of a lake trout going airborne from 50 FOW. Would love to know what it was, but never will.

All in all a decent outing; it felt good to have a little excitement on board.

Have had several BIG smallmouths hit my jig this time of year out around the bluff. They will hit it before it gets down to deep water normally (40 fow or less). They are cruising around out over deep water going after schools of saw bellies.

Say Les -Do you twist the lake trout 's head to make it bleed out? Is there another way of doing it (maybe with a knife)?

Lively1- Another thought on hooking smaller Keuka lakers while jigging. If you look on hermit's web site he has a picture of a white tube with a one ounce trolling type sinker inside and a SHARP treble hook attached. Cuts down on lost fish. But the super sharp jigs hermit sells are VERY effective also. Only kind I use anymore. 

Al I usually release most fish but when I keep one for the grill I slit the throat with a knife and hold him over the side of the boat or leave the fish in my net in the water to drain and then ice him.

Guff - to bleed a larger trout/salmon just cut one or two gill arches. And because a sharp knife and a thrashing fish don't mix well, don't use a knife, just stick your finger in the gills and tear it. The gills are quite fragile, and the fish will bleed out very quickly.