Why is my line eating up my slide divers?

Both 20# and 30# big game leaders have been eating into my slide divers lately.  I don't know if I am doing something wrong or what cause it doesn't seem to happen to anyone else that I have talked to.

Last trip out I ran one with a ring and a 4oz wieght to get it deeper and when I brought it up the ring was sawed almost in half at the back of the diver where the line rubs on it.

The extra weight is taking the line way below the plane of the diver.  Consider putting an extra swivel on the diver where you attach the line. (so your line clears the rim of the diver as it is tilted in the water.)

Tom B.

(LongLine)

the only weight behind the diver is a 70ft piece of mono and a spoon.  the 4oz weight goes inside the diver disc replacing the stock weight (comes with the 3oz right out of the package).

Edited by BrokeOff

Looks like you are running the diver backwards.

no im not, it runs just like a regular diver.  im pretty sure if you ran it backwards it would be a spinning disaster.  so the line running out the back to the lure is where it is getting chewed up.

Edited by BrokeOff

Is the diver slipping back on the mono after deployed?  I wouldn't think there would be enough drag from the lure or slip to do that, but line just breaking over the diver shouldn't groove it.  You wouldn't know if you tripped the diver to clear it.

thats what it looks like right? braid mainline. 70' 30# mono

i guess i can't be sure it isn't slipping.  i know when i trip the diver it is weightless for a while before it catches on the swivel.  so I assume it is sliding for a long ways

Tom's (Longline) idea sounds like something to try.Is it possible that the additional weight is sliping to the extreme side and binding against the braid....I should think braid might cut it easier than mono.

thats what it looks like right? braid mainline. 70' 30# mono

i guess i can't be sure it isn't slipping.  i know when i trip the diver it is weightless for a while before it catches on the swivel.  so I assume it is sliding for a long ways

Brokeoff,

Considering you have it rigged properly (although I have no idea how the front of the diver near the control arm pivot point is also worn), you are supposed to use a bead or two in front of your swivel before your terminal end to the lure. This is similar to what Tom said above. Then, when the diver slides down the line, it will bump into the bead and swivel and clear the rim of the diver.

Also, are you rotating the surgical tubing 180 degrees when using braid to prevent slippage?

Can you do me a favor, post a picture with it rigged up on a piece of line so I can see how you have it rigged?

Thanks,

Chris

Edited by momay4000

it does NOT slide on the braid.  the braid is in front of the mono (albright knot).  the knot would not pass through the diver eyelits.  there is no way it is sliding on the braid.  also they are made to slide on braid anyway! 

yes, i use an 8mm bead in front of the swivel.  the control arm is not worn it is just not very smooth.

Here is one on another rod that is rigged:

post-150314-0-41168100-1405990959_thumb.jpg

I notice you are not using the "Lite Bite" version, which keeps line from touching the rear of the diver.

that is true im not using the lite bite version, and you are correct that would keep the line from rubbing on the diver until it trips.  but i have 6 of these things and am not trying to add any more.

take braid out of the equation.  the mono is what is cutting/grooving the diver.  i have it rigged exactly as stated by silver fox above, the only thing different is i have a plain spro swivel and not a ball bearing swivel after the bead and before the leader of choice 

What about using say 3 beads to increase the distance from the edge?

i could, but the beads are way back near the swivel when you snap the diver in place (70 feet back in my case).  they do not stay near the diver since the water pressure pulls them back and away.  so the line will always be touching the diver until it trips and slides down to the beads.

Why don't you take a piece of mono and rub it back and forth on the diver underwater - are you actually able to slice through the plastic? That almost seems impossible to do in the water with mono.....

If you confirm that it can be done with very little effort, then somehow the diver is slipping despite being engaged. It just sounds impossible to do when fighting a fish as the bead would prevent it from happening