New to Lake Ontario (but not Kings) - Help please

Been fishing lake Michigan on and off for 30 years but never made the trip to Lake Ontario and would like to this summer.

I'm in mid Michigan and it looks a bit shorter to cross at the Blue Water bridge (Port Huron / Sarnia) and head towards the lake. Also could run around the bottom of lake Erie and head up New York way if you think it would be better for me.

Like to find deeper water (fish) closer to shore than way out if possible. I'll be fishing out of an open aluminum 17 footer. I'm not afraid of big water but safe/dry is always nice compared to the alternative. I heard it gets deeper closer in at Whitby. Is that a good port to head towards? Closer, west of Toronto, would shorten my drive tho. Also, is there any cheap cabins anyone could recommend for an overnight stay?

I'll be fishing the way I know how but imagine it isn't too far from what you guys are doing. Lead, copper, dipseys, riggers. Sushi flies, spoons, meat rigs. Anyone pulling a meat wrapped kwikfish west coast style? How about body baits, long/high lines? How many rods per man on Lake O, Canadian side?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

dave

olcott, wilson, niagara are all good places to fish out of. I favor olcott,but that said, it has been a bit of a slow year. deeper water in close is why I like the western basin.3 rods per person. Be careful if you fish out of niagara not to cross the line to Canada,unless you have a canadian lisence.dipsies, meat rigs, spoons,...pretty much the same stuff. towards the end of august......j plugs and you could try meatwrapped kf to staging kings in shallow water.thre are a couple of state campgrounds in the area..........that's a start for ya. good luck!!!

Thanks to both.

I do already have an annual Canadian license so fishing those waters is ok.

Here, fishing Lake St Clair for musky, when we get close to Canadian water we have to call for authorization then we can fish without any other hassles. Same way over your way on Lake Ontario? Anyone have that number to call if entering Canadian waters from the U.S. side? Could just fish Ontario waters since I have a Canadian license and not have to buy a New York license. Sure like running more rods tho.

Scissors cut a herring strip to about 1 inch x 2 inches then in the center of the one inch side cut a slit about half way down. This cut will allow you to slide the meat over the hook hanger on the belly of the kwikfish for balance. Rubber band, string, whatever, wind around the bait to hold the meat on. Stretchy thread is probably easiest (I use it to tie spawn sacs). The action is there with the added smell of the meat. West coast fishes this way. I have not run em yet but plan to. Pulling meat was done forever out west too and relatively new to the great lakes but sure catches a lot of fish. I understand this is also awesome in the rivers in the fall.

Bet you could do the same thing with a J-Plug?

Yep. I'm thinking the quikfish has a more aggressive action than a J-plug. The weight/drag might hurt the J's action but I'll be trying it.

I think Lake Ontario guys get the credit for the "sushi fly" don't they?

Similar first light set-up as out our way? We often start dropping lines in a little closer (in the dark if possible) before first light in a little closer. Lots of glow. Then move out deeper after sun is up. Kind of hard still mid-summer. A lot more predictable for us in late August for sure.

For the all day guys, do you see a mid day bite?