downrigger rod recommendation needed

I need to get a new DR rod. I like 8 foot. Any recommendations? I like the Ugly stik 8'3" DR rod but it only comes in light action. Also considering the Talora by Shimano and the glass cheapies from eagle claw, okuma, and TDR Shimano. Anyone like anything special for DRiggers? Thanks BP

I switched to all 7' Ugly Stik Downrigger Rods a few years ago. BWD 110170 is Medium action. It can be a Ford/Chevy debate whether long or short is best, but I really like the 7' rods for downriggers and that lets me easily use 8' roller rods for wire.

X2 on the 7 ft. medium Ugly stix. I don't have them (I have several 8 ft 3 inch rods) but I've used them and they are great!

Ive used Diawas.....Ancient great lakes systems, Black widows, and now Heartlands. Never had any problems ( Knock on wood). I tried using Okuma Blue Diamonds and the reel seats broke on a couple of them..... The heartlands and and Okuma classic pro's are probably similar in price.

I am a newbie to the game as of last year...I bought 4 of the okuma blue diamonds 10' just to get started. I agree...the reel seats loosen off and you have to keep tightening them. They feel like they want to break so I just snug them up and check them constantly. They feel a little horse whip like as well. Nothing worse then reel wobble!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I am a newbie to the game as of last year...I bought 4 of the okuma blue diamonds 10' just to get started. I agree...the reel seats loosen off and you have to keep tightening them. They feel like they want to break so I just snug them up and check them constantly. They feel a little horse whip like as well. Nothing worse then reel wobble!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Those rods do have issues loosening up like that. Thats why I use the clamps that okuma provides with there reels, havent had a problem since.

In my opinion the Okuma 8'6 DR cold water rods are mint. I had all Cabelas rods before this and if you don't look at them in person you really don't know what your gonna get. I had the telescoping rods in Med heavy and they were lime a wet noodle so use those for my trout program now. I also use Shimano Galore roller rods for all my wire. Those rods are no joke just crank on them all you want and they never give great buy for the money. Maybe switching to all Telora rods next year in 8'. Good luck

Gotta throw out some love for Daiwa Heartlands.  95% of the rods on my boat are Daiwa's and I couldn't be happier with them.  My rigger rods are actually Daiwa Jupiters, which tragically, Daiwa no longer makes.

Tim

There are so many Ugly Stick variations . The rods I use are BWD110170 . They are 7' 2 piece ,medium action and rated for 10-25 lb. test line . They have longer grips than the regular casting rods . I find these rods easier to rig and handle than 8'6" rods ( I still have about a dozen long rods sitting in my cellar , I started out with the long rods ) . I also have and use a few 8' rods that I like .But the 7 footers have won me over . I liked the Penn Power Sticks ,but they are discontinued .

Okuma Classic Pro GLT's.  A steal at $29.95.  Super comfortable handle and plenty strong.  Plus they look great.  Ive had no problems with reel seats or islets etc.  I abuse all 12 of mine. I crank them down super hard into my down riggers.  My buddy gets pissed because they are so bent over.  But I think it helps see lite hitting walleye bites better.  Plus when a King or Laker hits it, the hit looks vicious.   It also comes in a Dispy Diver model as well.  Its all I run on my boat.  I crank on mine hard and they just keep on ticking.  NO need to spend more money on more expensive rod.

Edited by jigstick