Down riggers

Picked up a couple used down riggers they didn't come with the release clips anyone use down riggers have a suggestion on what type of clips to buy and what lures work best never used em before I mark fish on the bottom all the time and I don't think anything I have runs deep enough for those ones that just hang on bottom

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Blacks-Downrigger-Releases/737049.uts

I like Blacks downrigger releases best Brent. We use them for muskies and salmon. They have adjustable tension and are designed to not release from above so you can really load your rod up which helps with the slack line when you get a hit/release.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Black releases all the way....I have a couple that have lasted over 30 years so far and many fish on them and are still perfect. For the money they are one of the biggest bargains in the fishing world.

I do like to load my rods up, particularly when fishing for salmon but I also fish for walleye in Erie a lot.  One of the things that I frequently do to put more fish in the box is to pop the line free of the release and allow my spoon or worm harness to drift up towards the surface.  Is there any way that you can accomplish this with the Black's or are they basically in the release until you bring the ball up?

You can adjust the tension to the way you want it and pop the release at any time accordingly. I twist the line around my finger about 6 times before setting the loop in the trigger arm I set mine so that a 3 lb fish will release it....and despite the fact that occasionally you may carry around a smaller fish without realizing it if you pay attention to your rod tips you'll see them there anyway and I change lures frequently anyway so it is of no significance at all. The technique you described I use all the time and there are no problems whatsoever doing it.

Edited by Sk8man