LOC derby conundrum

Ok my buddy sits in second place at the moment and I am his witness. So if his position holds till the last day of the derby we would need to plan on attending the ceremony. Problem is we live 8 hrs away and the scales close at 1pm. It is quite possible we would be driving out there and he could get bumped (so he wouldn't need to attend). That would suc. It would be better for people traveling a long distance if the derby ended the day before the ceremony or hold the ceremony the following weekend so someone wouldn't have travel a long way and potentially get bumped. My buddy is a young guy with limited cash flow so a trip back out isn't an easy trip when you have to book lodging and take a day off from work to attend.

Just some thoughts from a long distance participant.

Spike

Chances are, the fish will get bumped. If it stays 2nd until the end, chances are it will never happen again..... stay for the award.

I agree in this particular situation it probably wont hold, but the situatuion exists for any angler in the top three positions on the last day. It likely wouldn't effect most with a decent cash flow but for someone who was living on a tight budget it would.

Spike

It is all about being able to take pictures of the winning fish to promote the derby.  The attendance at the awards ceremonies are dismal.  If it was not mandatory, no one would go at all. 

Gambler makes 2 good points. The $ makes the inconvenience worth it. And you have to get pics of the 1st & 2nd place fish for publicity. We learned that the hard way several years ago.

last year i was looking at 1000 near the end of the derby and having to go to the banquet. got bumped to the 600 prize not needing to show a couple days before and was ectatic about it as i made far more money that way.  if i stayed at the 1000 level and figure in taxes on it, taking a day off work to go to banquet, gas for 6 hr round trip, i would lose money on that return. this doesnt factor in the inconvenience of having my witness come as well.   

last year i was looking at 1000 near the end of the derby and having to go to the banquet. got bumped to the 600 prize not needing to show a couple days before and was ectatic about it as i made far more money that way.  if i stayed at the 1000 level and figure in taxes on it, taking a day off work to go to banquet, gas for 6 hr round trip, i would lose money on that return. this doesnt factor in the inconvenience of having my witness come as well.   

Imagine if you didn't get bumped until after you arrived..........That is the point I'm trying to make. If the derby ended the day before at least all involved would know where they stand and can decide at that point if it is worth it or not..

Spike.

Well... if it will make your friend feel better today, I will be bumping him tomarrow as I'm going NW out of Oswego and not stopping until I get to 600'. That's where I will begin my troll as the short water has been beat to death over the past 4 days.

Good luck to all

Well... if it will make your friend feel better today, I will be bumping him tomarrow as I'm going NW out of Oswego and not stopping until I get to 600'. That's where I will begin my troll as the short water has been beat to death over the past 4 days.

Good luck to all

LOL it will make HIM feel better but the rest of us who wouldn't mind going would like the more $$ as we are dividing between us, lol.

Good luck out there. Just doesn't seem to be the same quality of fish as previous yrs. There are some decent ones though and I'm sure you guys still fishing will have an oportunity to whack one.

Spike

Falling like a rock, lol. Still doesn't change the situation that any entrant could end up in. Wish this was structured a bit better as far as prize structure and user friendlyness is concerned.

I guess if you find you don't like just down sign up for it.

Spike