Canandaigua 9-15-14 Not a stellar fishing day

Sk8man

I went solo this AM and fished from 70 ft to 230 ft of water with 2 downriggers and sliders and one 250 copper with spoon. Trolled all the way to Bristol Harbor condos without a touch (changed lures several times) trolled back north picked up 2 small rainbows on the copper rig out120 ft past the copper with a 44 Great Lakes  with silver diagonal tape and one 18 inch bow on the 46 ft. downrigger (came on slider) on one of my old time handmade spoons taped up.  The wind sucked bad out of the south and a major PITA the whole time (white caps and rollers all morning) and the moss green fleas were all over everything including all the way up my downrigger wires and on the copper as well and that is a first usually only the leader or connection but this time intermittent bunches on the wire itself and there were spotty weeds out in the middle within scum lines. The boat was a mess and the downriggers still are. The fleas seemed to get worse as I went north.  I didn't mark many fish or much bait throughout on either side of the lake. Even the area near the water plant seemed devoid of fish or bait whereas there was a bunch of both last time out.

I hear ya Craig. I'm always torn between perch and trout at this point in the season myself.  :)  The perch fishing is starting to look more attractive with this flea crap now.

Got out for a couple hours this afternoon and saw the same as you, Les.  I stayed north and saw fish and bait here and there, mostly at 40 feet over 70 to 100 fow.  Lots of the moss green fleas, even on cables.  The wind had let up so that was nice, but the fish didn't cooperate at all!  Hoping to get out again later this week.  Sure hope things pick up for the Seager Marine tournament on October 4th, but we have divisions for perch and bass as well as trout, so at least there are alternatives!

I think if the water temps come down the fleas will be down as well Ted. Should be OK by them I would think. Surface temp still 68 in most places today. I'd like to fish the tournament but we are driving out west and on to LA the right then.

Edited by Sk8man

I was thinking about it also Les could see the waves from my deck at camp and went back in and made more coffee.......... Good for you getting out better than these fair-weather-fisher-people Iron Duke talks about !!!!! :lol: ........also sounds like you got the fish-hook fleas over there also BIG , P.I.T.A.