Look what I found for a Penn Yan Outrage

I HAVE TO BELIEVE IT WAS FOR A WHEEL CHAIR ACCESS AND IF THE DOOR IS CLOSE ENOUGHT TO A "TIGHT SEAL" WE ALL KNOW THAT ANY WATER WILL DRAIN RIGHT BACK OUT THE SCUPPER LINES.  I HAVE THE SAME BOAT AND I THINK ITS AWESOME FOR THE RIGHT PERSON!!!!  VERY COOL

That is called a tuna door.  Most of the big boats that fish for giant tuna have them so that the big fish can be pulled into the boat through that door instead of lifting it over the side.  On most of the big boats with inboards, the door is in the transom.  

I know im on a toon and small water but i added a door in the side towards the stern so i could reach the water and release fish without lifting them. It makes dealing with big tigers a breeze. I net them, open the door, lay the net on the floor, then when i kneal down i make sure the net handle is under me. Now i have a nice pen where i can take my time and work on the fish. Boat keeps fishing when the fish is revived u dip the net. Never lift em or touch em unless for a pic.

Works good for little fragile browns too. Just open the door bend down unhook with pliers and bye bye...no lifting or dropping the fish back.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Lake Ontario United mobile app

That's a rescue door option available from Penn Yan for boats purchased by government agencies (coast guard, sheriff, fire companies, etc.) The original purchaser probably had the boat special ordered that way to serve as a dive boat or possibly as someone else suggested for wheelchair access, though it looks a little narrow for that purpose to me unless it was for a child. 

As a rescue door, the door on the side is designed to make it easy for people to be pulled from the water. The body weight of two to three rescuers inside the boat positioned at the door will lean the boat just enough to dip the bottom of the door into the water making it easy to pull a person in distress from the water. In a rescue situation where a person might be incapacitated, the boat might have to be maneuvered under power to bring the door to the person. In this scenario, if the door was in the transom, the rescuers would be operating the propeller in very close proximity to the person in distress without a direct line of sight to the person in the water. As you can imagine, not having a direct line of sight could be deadly. By having the door in the side, the driver has a direct line of sight and the prop is much further from the person providing a greater degree of safety for everyone involved.

Transom doors are for fishing or loading swimmers who can climb aboard on their own without the assistance of others. Climbing aboard over the transom doesn't cause the boat to lean to the side an appreciable amount so the boarding process is more stable.

Edited by John E Powell