Electric Planer reels

TileMan Dan

Before you pull the trigger on the Big Jon reels (which are good) take a close look at Cisco's reels. Their a bit more but they're also the best in my opinion.

Top quality materials, design, and durability and the motor can haul in a set of Amish Outfitter boards like they were yellow birds.

Edited by John E Powell

Before you pull the trigger on the Big Jon reels (which are good) take a close look at Cisco's reels. Their a bit more but they're also the best in my opinion.

Top quality materials, design, and durability and the motor can haul in a set of Amish Outfitter boards like they were yellow birds.

I may be wrong but I think the motors are the same but the Cisco use a lower gear ratio . There is a price differential on the motors of about ten bucks with the Cisco being the less costly but the mast set up and switches are higher priced with the Cisco . Both set ups work well .

Edited by bigblue

When did Cisco's become comparatively priced to Big Jons? They were MUCH more when I priced them 3-4 years ago.

I might be in the market again since one of my Big Jons is dead and the other is not far behind. I'm sure they would warrantee them but I don't pull otter boats so theee's a good chance they will die again.

Looked up the Cisco's and they are a bit more. I have no issue with that if they are a stronger motor. Their site dont give any specs on the motor so I'll have to research them both some more. Is their any other manufacturers of these that I should look into?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I'm fine with the manuals.  Its the crew I fish with that are constantly whining and need pampering. LOL

If you have the mast BJ sells a conversion kit to electric around $500 that is what we used on one of our set ups . They come complete switches wiring etc.

Yes the Cisco's are a bit more expensive, but I think I made the right choice. My Amish Outfitter redwood boards pull like a mule and are absolutely no fun to reel in by hand. These electric Ciscos crank em right in.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The Cisco motors are twice the size of the big jons. Plus there is ZERO plastic anywhere on the Cisco's, all cnc machined aircraft aluminum.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Plastic bad word ? How are your Scotty's holding up .

Plastic is a bad word when it's not up to the task. Plastic breaks down from uv light and many larger boats sit in the sun all year not covered up in garages. I know of three boats in my circle of friends that over the years have had problem with plastic part failures on the Big Jon reels.

Has anyone out there experienced a Cisco failure?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

the boards are amazing.even in the summer with copper they often outproduce downriggers and dipseys.The biggest problem I have is lack of a crew to run all of it..Maybe next year my prodical son will return to trolling,lol.

• 4 months later...

I switched to Big Jon electric planer reels about 3 years ago. My boat is docked all season long...Indoors in the off season. So far they have been bullet-proof. I let them out manually and retrieve them with the motor. Excellent investment in my crew's shoulders!