Question about lake shore hunting

Guppy35

My brother and I are planning a trip to Lake Erie this weekend, and since we have never hunted the shore of Erie before, we basically wanted to make sure we weren't going to be breaking any laws by hunting there. As long as we are not walking across posted property, is it legal to hunt from the shore of Lake Erie?

We were thinking about following a creek down to the lake and then find a spot to set up from there. If anybody has any information for us on this, that would be great. I checked the seasons and from what I read both duck and goose season will be open this weekend.

Thanks

Sean

As a rule you can hunt from all shores as long as your in a boat. There is a technicality saying the you are able to hunt below the high water mark. If your feet are in the water, you should be OK. I used  hunt some of the fingerlakes. Iv had some run ins with homeowners telling me I can't park my boat (which I was sitting in ) in front of their cottage. They called the Police, but nothing was done because I wasn't on dry land, that they own.  Not so much into hunting in front of cottages or other peoples property now, Too many people Blaring their Radios, Banging pots and pans, and even some Ahole who hit golf balls at our boat.

If your hunting in NYS then you should be OK, just a little sketchy......Good luck man.

MD is right on, only thing to add is to be careful of land ownership, some deeds including parks have lake bottom ownership that could get you in trouble even if your anchored in a boat. Remember the lake rules on a navigable water way are totally different if you hunt the creek. Distance from houses etc.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

Thanks for the reply we will keep all of that in mind. The areas we are looking to hunt don't have any cottages or houses near the shore for about a half a mile in either direction, so at least we won't have to deal with people saying we are on their property (hopefully). I will post how we do this weekend, we also plan to do some steelhead fishing while we are there