Moor Sub Trolling Wiring Question

Picked up a used Moor Sub Troll and have a question about the wiring. The directions say to connect the black lead of the power cable to both the boats ground system and negative battery terminal. 

I am not sure on the ground system as I don't believe there's one on my boat. I have a 16 foot tiller with a 30 hp 4 stroke if that helps at all. Manual says the current must be returned to the water ground to complete the circuit.

Thanks

Is your motor electric start or pull start? If electric there should be a grounding wire from the battery to the frame work of the motor or boat. if so you can undo the nut and add a ring terminal and wire to the sub troll. If pull start I would think you could just find a bolt on the motor and ground it there. If it is an aluminum boat you can just find a bolt on the boat to ground it.

Good luck and tight lines

So I can run just two leads from the sub troll, one to the positive terminal and one to the negative? No need to run a third lead to ground?

I hooked up just the positive and negative and dropped the probe in a bucket of water just to see if I would get a reading on temp and nothing showed on the head unit. Maybe ill get a fresh battery and wait to test when I have the boat out again.

• 4 months later...