Copper or lead core?

Giz9219

Core for spring. Copper in fall. Copper is deeper running. Lead is much easier to use for many reasons. Lead is much more forgiving if mistakes are made. Once you kink copper its integrity is compromised. When money was tight we would use core until the end of july, then switch to copper. I would suggest 300' max in both for a season before going longer. Good luck. They both catch alot of fish.

Then both. Early season browns along the shore a one or two color core is deadly out the back. Later into spring 5-7 colors will shine and double for June Steelhead. June.....shorter segments of copper in 150-250' sections come into their own. Come July and the fleas of Oswego you will find the 400-600 coppers useful.

Been slowly switching out my leadcore to Tuf-line Micro Core. You want the 27lb variety. One thing I have done for years is to color in the sheath of leadcore black with a fat permanent marker. You can now get dark colored "stealth core" at Great Lakes Tackle online store. Copper you want 45 lb for most applications

I'd say get one of each and test them out. My buddies do well on leadcore but I seem to do better on copper. For Lake O you probably want 45 lb copper but Finger Lakes or similar bodies of water 30 is fine. The 27 lb leadcore is good for both environments. I don't worry about stealth because the fish are usually in back or below most of the lure presentation and the leader length or diameter  may be the more critical part of the equation. I prefer 12 lb Seaguar fluoro for the Fingers and 20 lb for Lake O except for Spring conditions when 10 lb is sufficient for most situations.

Thanks again,now rod and reel choice and length,found Okuma Classic pro cp-cl-70 7' rods with Okuma ma20 d reels?4 pack for $195.00, thanks again. Giz

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

Edited by Giz9219

If you are getting the Magda Pros for either leadcore or copper get the 45DX's they will have the capacity as well as a heavier drag.....and they are not bad reels for the price

The 45dx's can be used for "all around" rather than being too light and not enough capacity for salmon and can be more versatile for both copper and lead core is what I was getting at. I "specialize" my rig setups and have some reels (e.g. Diawas and Penn's) dedicated to number of cores etc too but also want reels to do whatever I need them to do throughout the seasson not just the Spring (say in a pinch when another is inoperative because of malfunction or tangle....believe it or not it does happen out there :lol:

Edited by Sk8man