Visiting Cayuga/Seneca area

Hi folks! I'm visiting my parents for the holidays and was looking to check out a few places and just wanted a little input. The two spots I'm thinking are Salmon Creek and Catherine Creek. I'll be wading with a fly rod, so I guess was wondering wether either spot is worth checking out over the other this time of year. Not looking for honey holes, just if there's any fish this time of year. My parents live in hector if anyone thinks there's a better spot closer by. Thanks!

I believe Nick is referring to the pier at the south end of Seneca Lake (Watkins Glen). Folks catch a variety of species (e.g. Pike, trout etc.) right off the pier there casting lures at this time of the year.  If you do it remember to bring a good sized long handled net :)

Well, I had a pretty good visit. Got to do some exploring that I've necer done so I was pretty happy. Checked out a bunch of creeks and tribs around Seneca and Cayuga. Had luck on only one particular stream. Good to know so next time I'll have a little knowledge.

Had the most bizarre fishing etiquette experience today. I got a tip about a hole to check out. Once I get there I spend about 10 or so minutes scouting the water and rigging up, by the time I have about 3 casts, 4 guys walk out of the path. I'm thinking, well bummer, I was enjoying being by myself, but whatever, I'm sure they'll just find another piece of real estate. I'm pretty much in the middle of this hole, trying to get a good drift all the way down through it, meanwhile two guys cross the river and are directly across from me while the other two set up on either side of me! So now I've got to make sure my fly cast isn't hitting anyone and my drift is shortened dramatically. And then, of course, whatever damn thing they're plopping in there catches big ass rainbows, all four of them catch multiple fish and they leave! So now I'm stuck with an exhausted hole while they go home laughing it up!

I know I've heard of shoulder-to-shoulder on opening day, but this was honesty ridiculas. Not once did I get a acknowledgment of me being there or maybe asking if they could join me.

Jeez, well anyway, I'll be back since I've got family in the area and thanks for all the advice I got on here and on the rivers. And if anyone has any Maine questions, fire them my way!

Edited by Maineflier