How much ice is on honeoye lake

mikekebt

My son was at the south end yesterday and said that it looked about between 1-2 inches.  It should be good to go there this weekend with these temps. Maybe before hand but is it worth chancing that is the question.  There also may be running water under the ice near where the streams connect too.

The south end has had ice longer than the north end (as usual) if you go I'd try going out (carefully and testing along the way) from the launch at the south end. Be aware that the Trident Marine has had a bubbler going the last few years and it erodes the ice underneath where you can't see it for many many yards away from the bubbler itself. There are also numerous gas pockets at the north end as well as stream input which also create problems you often can't see.  There is also stream input just north of the south end launch ramp that needs to be avoided.

One fella reported 3 inches all over the south end. Made it out to 25 fow. I'll be trying tomorrow afternoon after work. A spread of tip-downs and jigging for perch and walleye until sundown. Then collapse it in around the lantern for the night bite Crappie.

Yes they were fishing it today at the south end.  The wind is supposed to be 15-20 with gusts to 35 tomorrow so that should be fun :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Jeff there is a good 7-8 inches and 10 inches or more in some places. Fishing has been slow though...a lot of "lookers" but not a whole lot of "takers"

It is ALWAYS possible no matter how thick the general ice conditions are because there are pressure ridges as well as gas pockets out there and when you are using objects that weigh a lot it is something to seriously consider and caution is advised out there. I've seen guys on 4 wheelers and snowmobiles out there hauling a.. without regard to anything apparently thinking that because there is some safe ice that all of it is safe, Honeoye is particularly hazardous in that regard as there are numerous streams coming into it and it is a eutrophic lake with many gas pockets and upwellings so you can have 6 inches of safe ice someplace and a couple feet away it may be 2 inches. Two days ago on Keuka my son drilled a hole amidst many others that were solid 4 inches and it only took a couple revolutions of the auger and it was through despite all the surrounding area being 4 inches of solid ice. Some of this stuff has broken up and reformed and it is not uniform despite the cold temperatures we've had and snow coverage introduces another twist as it can cover just formed sections of ice and you can't accurately determine what is what out there. Nearly every year someone goes through the ice on Honeoye and some have drowned but it can happen anyplace if extreme care is not taken. Another factor is alcohol....the worst thing to be doing on the ice for many reasons....yet every year I see folks with 12 packs (or more) in hand on their way out there.

Sk8man, thanks for the info. Not much of a drinker; while fishing anyway. All business when the lines drop. Lol. Thanks for the info its my first year with a machine and kinda leary of taking it out. Always used them with friends on oneida but never ran into any "scary conditions"

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Sk8man.....very nice and complete rundown......

It is ALWAYS possible no matter how thick the general ice conditions are because there are pressure ridges as well as gas pockets out there and when you are using objects that weigh a lot it is something to seriously consider and caution is advised out there. I've seen guys on 4 wheelers and snowmobiles out there hauling a.. without regard to anything apparently thinking that because there is some safe ice that all of it is safe, Honeoye is particularly hazardous in that regard as there are numerous streams coming into it and it is a eutrophic lake with many gas pockets and upwellings so you can have 6 inches of safe ice someplace and a couple feet away it may be 2 inches. Two days ago on Keuka my son drilled a hole amidst many others that were solid 4 inches and it only took a couple revolutions of the auger and it was through despite all the surrounding area being 4 inches of solid ice. Some of this stuff has broken up and reformed and it is not uniform despite the cold temperatures we've had and snow coverage introduces another twist as it can cover just formed sections of ice and you can't accurately determine what is what out there. Nearly every year someone goes through the ice on Honeoye and some have drowned but it can happen anyplace if extreme care is not taken. Another factor is alcohol....the worst thing to be doing on the ice for many reasons....yet every year I see folks with 12 packs (or more) in hand on their way out there.

......Also as bassn247 suggested different bodies of water will freeze differently. Places like Minnesota will have feet of solid ice because of latitude and normal weather conditions. Here in western NY, a good long very cold winter, like last year's, gives the safest ice. North country...a different story because of elevation...Lots of things to consider with ice safety.