How does this happen?

dgio67

WEST SPARTA, N.Y. -- The state's Department of Environmental Conservation is investigating the shooting of two horses by hunters over the weekend in Livingston County.

The DEC said coyote hunters on Moore Road in West Sparta shot the two animals Saturday night. One of the horses died. The second is being treated for its injuries.

According to the agency, the two hunters are licensed and had permission to hunt on that land.

Horses are big creatures. 

Why would you do it at all?

This is a prime example where the offenders need to have their hunting privlidges revoked.

I'm with you on this one plus pay out the a##

My aunt had four guys who were deer hunting kill one of her black Angus cows a couple years ago. Guys loose their head and think they have to kill every deer that moves and that's what you get.

If they had shot one horse, it could be debateable that it was by accident due to a badly missed shot.  But to just happen to hit two horses (and kill one of them) by accident, i think i'd statistically have a better chance of getting struck by lightning!

Guy out this way years ago was pissed at his girlfriend and in the morning the next day, she found one of her horses on the ground with an arrow buried in it..........he got in trouble for that stunt.

Rediculous behavior.

Allegedly members of law enforcement? Corrections officers?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Jeepers. We had an incident in WNY Town of Amherst where the deer/bait shoot program resulted in a woman with children in the house reporting bullets entering thru walls on the 2nd story of her house! The shooting is done by Amherst Police officers. The incident lead to a shotgun-only policy. Someone please explain to me how a bullet can end up going thru a 2nd story of a house? There are no hills or terrain in Amherst. People behaving badly making it harder for us to get permission to hunt.

From what I just heard it definitely happened Saturday night. What happened has the two horse's were bedded down and the two hunters that received permission to hunt dogs thought the horses were coyotes. Both hunters had to blow to see if they were drinking (not sure if they were or not). And unfortunately the second horse also died due to its shot!!

It amazes me this kind of stuff still happens! Make sure of your target before you pull the damn trigger!!

horses are curious trusting animals . maybe they walked up to these hunters and the hunters got scared of these big scary creatures in the dark.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I predator hunt at night with a kill light so I feel comfortable saying these guys were:

a.) shooting before confirming their target

and

b.) shooting well past the limit of their light and their ability

Predator hunting at night requires really sound judgment with respect to confirming the target- it is a whole different ball game from deer hunting.

Unfortunately these kinds of incidents are on the upswing right now with the increased popularity of predator hunting. I was listening to a 'security guard' telling a story of how he shot a coyote the night before at 200 yds in the dark with a kill light. Now it doesn't matter that he was most likely FOS (full of sh#t) , the problem is that people are thinking this sounds like a cool, American Sniper fantasy that they can act out in their neighbor's back 40.

Edited by chowder

I predator hunt at night with a kill light so I feel comfortable saying these guys were:

a.) shooting before confirming their target

and

b.) shooting well past the limit of their light and their ability

Predator hunting at night requires really sound judgment with respect to confirming the target- it is a whole different ball game from deer hunting.

Unfortunately these kinds of incidents are on the upswing right now with the increased popularity of predator hunting. I was listening to a 'security guard' telling a story of how he shot a coyote the night before at 200 yds in the dark with a kill light. Now it doesn't matter that he was most likely FOS (full of sh#t) , the problem is that people are thinking this sounds like a cool, American Sniper fantasy that they can act out in their neighbor's back 40.

Agree 100% with this post - spot on.

Chowder said it correct. Know your target before you shoot. Safety safety safety. Something similar happened out near there 4 yrs ago where we would bird hunt. A deer hunter threw some slugs into a combine while the farmer was doing corn. This place was gods place for ducks and geese. Now nobody hunts. I still stop by once in awhile to ask anyway.

That is true, they sometimes lay down before a low pressure comes in, I was told their joints hurt? That was by a Vet. Or if they are in a stall and feel secure there.

You are correct but if they are lying down it is only for a matter of an hour at most and aren't asleep when lying down.  That still means their head is an easy 3'-4' off the ground.

Edited by Chas0218