Im looking to get 2 new reels for my downrigger rods

Im wanting to get new reels for my downrigger rods and i want to get the best bang for my buck. Id like to stay $100 or under as i am just a weekend warrior. Any info would be greatly appreciated

Sent from my LG-D631 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Shimano charter specials are pretty nice reels.  New they are a little over your budget but the lever drags are awesome for setting lines.  Been running mine for a few seasons now and love them.  I got 2 rebuilt off ebay for around $75 each.

I've had excellent results with Diawa Sealine 47"s. I have 7 of them. I picked up 4 on Ebay for around $35.00 each and then send them to Tuna Toms to be cleaned, lubed and replace anything that needed to be. TT are great people to work with and there prices are excellent. I only get to Lake O once a season & I get up to lake Champlain several time a year, but generally these reels see little use.

Thanks and Boat Safe

Egoody,

Fitzwilliam, NH

Shimano Triton TR200G.  Same great drags as the Charter Specials, just star drag instead of lever drag, and half the price.  Best rigger reel on the market IMO and for $65.00-$69.00 you can't beat it.

Edited by Tim Bromund

i went to okuma convectors for this season,but i had the magda pros with 2 seasons on them and had only one fail.they have lots of up and downs on the riggers and many salmon on them.best bang for the buck for me.

Yeah i have magda pros also but mine have 3 seasons. I just want to upgrade to something a little tougher i am thinking about the convector. Thanks guys for the info!

It's my opinion that you get what you pay for, I first went with 100.00 reels ended up giving them away, drags were terrible after the first 750 ft. Screaming king run. I have been running Shimano for the last 10+ years, none have began to jump/ grab and I use them hard. So my advice would be to by the best you possibly can even if it's only one for this season. You will not be sorry ! Remember to back off your drags when there not in the water this goes for what ever kind you purchase .

You will love the 6:1 ratio of a Saltist to eat up the slack after a downrigger release.  Spend $200 on one great reel you will keep forever and use in Saltwater when you retire to Florida rather than spend $100 each on two reels that will leave you wishing you had a Saltist.

• 1 month later...

i went to okuma convectors for this season,but i had the magda pros with 2 seasons on them and had only one fail.they have lots of up and downs on the riggers and many salmon on them.best bang for the buck for me.

what did you do with the one magda that failed? I have the same issue, one failed on my last year

Shimano Triton TR200G. Same great drags as the Charter Specials, just star drag instead of lever drag, and half the price. Best rigger reel on the market IMO and for $65.00-$69.00 you can't beat it.

yup^^^^^ they are exceptional under a heavy load, as in an angry king! For the money they are hard to beat.

You will love the 6:1 ratio of a Saltist to eat up the slack after a downrigger release. Spend $200 on one great reel you will keep forever and use in Saltwater when you retire to Florida rather than spend $100 each on two reels that will leave you wishing you had a Saltist.

Listen to this man! Save your pennies and buy the Saltists. They will not disappoint. I'm a weekend warrior too and went to all Saltists and glad I did.

what did you do with the one magda that failed? I have the same issue, one failed on my last year

threw it out,for the price of them,just go buy a new one.tried the saltists last year for wire,they lasted 2 weekends,couldnt stand them.the line counter digs in your wrist and dont like the high gear ratio,its like pulling in a 20 lb laker with just the tripped dipsey.

Ok. I am looking at the cold waters or the tekotas. Looking at a 30 class reel or one that will hold the same amount of yards of line as my 30 class magdas. Suggestions? I would like to stay under $200

Im wanting to get new reels for my downrigger rods and i want to get the best bang for my buck. Id like to stay $100 or under as i am just a weekend warrior. Any info would be greatly appreciated

Diawa Sealine 47lc's are a good reliable reel for about a hundred bucks.

I run the 27's on my Brown rods and a couple 47's on my braid diver rod.

Very good middle of the road reel that will serve you well and the 47's have plenty of line capacity for Kings

good luck with your decision.

Edited by spoonfed-1

Ok. I am looking at the cold waters or the tekotas. Looking at a 30 class reel or one that will hold the same amount of yards of line as my 30 class magdas. Suggestions? I would like to stay under $200

Catalinas if you can do it. Otherwise cold waters

Sent from my E6782 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Rigger reels I would go some good old American classic Penn Reels. 209's or 210's or for Kings maybe the 309's. These can be had on the bay for decent prices and they are SUPERB reels.  Just extremely well made and machined.  I also use Magda Pro 30's for my diver rods and frankly they have worked great too.  I can't **** about them at all frankly.  Used them a ton last summer and never failed me at all.  I have 4 of them and only use 2.  But like I said I like the Penn American made 209's or 210, riggers you can't beat the 309's.  thanks 

I just wanted all line counters and I do not think they come with them do they? I wish it wasn't so confusing.....I only fish for kings a few times a year and was thinking that the magdas that I have would hold up. But one of the drags went out on my rigger rod, was surprised it didn't go out on my wire dipsey rod actually. I have 4 magda reels

I just wanted all line counters and I do not think they come with them do they? I wish it wasn't so confusing.....I only fish for kings a few times a year and was thinking that the magdas that I have would hold up. But one of the drags went out on my rigger rod, was surprised it didn't go out on my wire dipsey rod actually. I have 4 magda reels

I run about 16 Tekota 600lc's.

Heavy use and I love um.

Just got to re grease the drag washers every two or three years and no issues at all.

Great reel.