Holy Chit Mon ......she is icing over.

Gill-T

Interesting that the graph shows a spike in ice on Ontario every 15-19 years.  I guess we were due.  If you draw a line at the peaks it is still a downward trend on ice coverage from 1979.

I was keeping up with the dismal salmon and brown trout reports all summer last season. I had a miserable brown trout trip in April. My question is what effect did last years cold winter and ice coverage have on walleye, bass, pike and panfish? Nobody really ever mentions that and reports are a litte harder to come by for other species. I had a great June trip fishing for pike and smallies  in the 1000 islands. 

Not to change the main course of this topic, but why did the western end of the lake fisherfolk say they had a great year from start to finish yet the easterners seemed to struggle. With this year looking like a repeat of last years ice coverage what's in store for us guys fishing the eastern basin? Just curious. The Browns and eyes seemed to be better for the east, but the king guys seemed to struggle all year?

We must be on the same page the above post wasn't there, I pushed the send button only to have the same concerns posted, sorry for the Pete and repeat posts

Edited by pap

Makes you wonder what the colder water temps will mean for this seasons fishing....doesn't sound real good.

You might be able to get that question answered and more here.

DEC Announces State of Lake Ontario Meetings

There will be experts from both sides of the pond discussing many aspects about the state of Lake Ontario. It is always very informative. Not to mention the free cookies!

Makes you wonder what the colder water temps will mean for this seasons fishing....doesn't sound real good.

With less heat calories in the lake and should we get a normal summer (not above ave heat) fishing will be shallower than normal this summer.  Keying in on shallower depths usually is easier to fish

TODAY 2/19/15 FROM HENDERSON HARBOR

Rest of Today

Cloudy. A chance of snow showers this afternoon. Cold with highs zero to 5 above. West winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of snow 50 percent.

nt_chancesnow.gif

Tonight

Cloudy with a 50 percent chance of snow showers. Cold with lows ranging from 15 below to 20 below zero on the Tug Hill to 10 below to 15 below zero across the lower elevations. West winds 10 to 15 mph. Wind chill values as low as 30 below.

chancesnow.gif

Friday

Mostly cloudy with a chance of snow showers in the morning...then partly sunny in the afternoon. Cold with highs zero to 5 above. West winds 10 to 15 mph...becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph. Chance of snow 40 percent. Wind chill values as low as 35 below.

nt_chancesnow.gif

Friday Night

Mostly cloudy. A chance of snow showers in the evening. Cold. Early overnight lows 5 below to 10 below zero...then temperatures rising to around zero. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph... becoming south. Chance of snow 40 percent.

chancesnow.gif

Saturday

Cloudy. Snow showers becoming likely in the afternoon. Not as cold with highs in the mid 20s. South winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of snow 70 percent.

In a way I am kind of happy w/ the fact that the lake is so cold. I suspected early on last year that we would have better than normal spring king action in my neck of the woods last year & the cold water would push the kings my way. It panned out that way & it reminded me of the 80's. Might be a repeat , I can only hope.

What is apparent to me in the graph is there seems to be every 19 years, 3 cold points (ice cover is increasing year to year) then a sudden drop in ice coverage. So if 2013, 2014, and 2015 are those three consecutive years of increasing ice coverage, if history repeats itself, we can expect a mild winter next year.

Call me crazy but I could have sworn that even though last Spring fishing was good.......... Summer/ Fall was nothing like years prior by a long stretch! All anyone would say is where the hell are the KINGS!? So no one thinks the extremely cold winter and all the Great Lakes freezing over played a role in that?? You ask me, the Trout better hope it warms quick or another beating is instore. IMO

Yeah, the cold water scares me. We beat the heck out of them for the first two months, then had a heck of a time finding anything solid after the second week of June. It seems like the panfish spawned later, which was great for us perch jerkers, and Honeoye didn't have the algae problems it's seen the past few years. So, like any extreme, the cold will have both good and bad effects. It's all about how adaptable you are...as well as "that bass"  :lol:

pronounced "base" (not treble)

Sorry. 13 yr old daughter. Blame her.

Edited by Gator

In the end this all means nothing if Lake Erie's ice melts like normal and the warm water comes over the falls... It's not all dooms day as anglers we get stuck in the pattern of doing the same thing over and over again, last year fishing was different but the numbers were there just not in the normal areas

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Gambler, Your welcome to come down anytime this spring and take one of my Duck boats out jigging in front. Not to mention the shore line casting there is awesome all spring. Then comes the perch fishing and Alewife collecting. Bring the kid down it s a great time, On a warm day.

On a side note plain and simple. Kings/bows and all trout and salmon in general (and more importantly BAITFISH), the higher they are in the water column, the more THEY MOVE.....Fish don't "sit" in 15' or 25' feet down over ANYWHERE for a long period of time.. They constantly are moving for many reason, like the higher the water , the more unstable it is due to winds/currents/temp changes sunlight penetration ETC. In contrast get kings down over 120' +++ like in Oswego OR deep water fish kings down 200' plus feet down.  , they will drop and "sit" for weeks in the same general area day after day. The average speed in which fish swim normally, makes them almost impossible to troll and stay on the higher they are in the water Colum. Steelhead ( a normally always high water Colum fish) only slow up/congregate in numbers because of surface and down breaks/ currents or large areas of surface food..Bows seek out and follow the higher water Colum all year.... Coho"s ----forget it, We named them NORTHSHORE FISH 30 years ago for a reason, They want north shore from MARCH/April. ON. (how many coho have you ever caught/targeted down over 50' before October?) Man I could go on forever ,So my point is a cold winter --, like last year creates a HIGHER WATER COLUM fishery the following year. This makes targeting and staying on them much more difficult and can appear to look like "there are less salmon in this lake this year" Also it is much easier for predators to feed on bait the higher they are, they can feed more often, expend less energy, and feed most efficiently being able to crash bait nearer the surface in low light conditions.

Just my .04 cents

Jerry

Edited by RUNNIN REBEL

Call me crazy but I could have sworn that even though last Spring fishing was good.......... Summer/ Fall was nothing like years prior by a long stretch! All anyone would say is where the hell are the KINGS!? So no one thinks the extremely cold winter and all the Great Lakes freezing over played a role in that?? You ask me, the Trout better hope it warms quick or another beating is instore. IMO

This was exactly what happened to us.We caught a load of kings on our ten day late may trip from Olcott to tbe bar, but we had a tough time with much slower than normal early and late August trips.Even the offshore fishing which is usually very good for us was lousy.The offshore steelie bite thats usually very good sucked as well.

I hope this coming season is not a repeat of that

Edited by big easy