copper reels

being  new to fishing  with copper   why all those lengths  could  you just  say   have a 300 or 400 and put it out 100 feet out or 150 feet out   to get to the desired length ? 

If you only have one copper and the copper bite is HOT, you will put less fish in the boat.  Has your wife brainwashed you into thinking less gear is a good thing?  :lol:

being  new to fishing  with copper   why all those lengths  could  you just  say   have a 300 or 400 and put it out 100 feet out or 150 feet out   to get to the desired length ?

Doing it as you say above, will cause you to run them off the boat in rod holders (down the chute or nearly so) Having different lengths allows you to run them from boards (either a mast & big boards or in line planers), where IMHO they perform much better.

John

I am divorced   therefore   I can buy all the  gear that I need  I tried copper  first time last summer   got a couple fish on  it and then  a king   got  into  to  of the lines   what a mess at that point  I looked to see   that scrap copper was selling for.   I am going to  give  it a try  again> So   I should   have   from  100-400   in 50 or 100 foot  increments    I guess  I will be giving Tom Allen   another order . 

I am divorced   therefore   I can buy all the  gear that I need  I tried copper  first time last summer   got a couple fish on  it and then  a king   got  into  to  of the lines   what a mess at that point  I looked to see   that scrap copper was selling for.   I am going to  give  it a try  again> So   I should   have   from  100-400   in 50 or 100 foot  increments    I guess  I will be giving Tom Allen   another order . 

Start with a 100 and go in 50' incriments up to a 500'

I'll say it. There is no way I'm pullin in 5 or 600' coppers. I run 300' and wouldn't go longer for any reason. Every skipper salmon and 5 lb steelie. I would like to be able use my sholders as I get older. Short coppers? We use lead in the one to ten colors.That covers the shallow, and is much easier to work with. Bought penn 330 and 345s for long lines and they have been great for three seasons.

It all depends on what part of the lake you fish. IMO - The fish on the east end are generally deeper. We run 300 coppers in the spring and then 450 -700 plus as summer rolls around and the thermo sets up 100' plus down. It's not uncommon for us to run riggers 120-200 down to reach the fish. When this happens the LONG coppers off the boards are DEADLY.

Mike

'Bout Time

Edited by bout time

we do 100 ft increments from 200 to 500.dont see the need for 50 ft increments.and dont need to catch fish that bad to reel in anything more than 500 ft and dont even like putting that out!!!!

I started with 100' incriments and you would have one copper going and the other was dead.  50' incriments made a huge difference.  You can dial in a spread and get both coppers firing. 

Get your self 2 300 coppers and maybe a 400 and be done! Especially if your only out to have FUN. 500 and above coppers are not fun. Charters and tourneys yea you want every weapon you can have to put fish in the boat. IMO

Edited by JakeyBaby

Get your self 2 300 coppers and maybe a 400 and be done! Especially if your only out to have FUN. 500 coppers are not fun. Charters and tourneys yea you want every weapon you can have to put fish in the boat. IMO

Matt,

They are fun to watch other people reel in.  I just make sure someone else grabs the 500 when it goes off on my boat.  It flat out catches fish.  The 300 and 500 have been my biggest producers over the past couple seasons. 

Get your self 2 300 coppers and maybe a 400 and be done! Especially if your only out to have FUN. 500 and above coppers are not fun. Charters and tourneys yea you want every weapon you can have to put fish in the boat. IMO

Agreed! Except if I even had a copper over 400 I wouldn't even let my clients have a chance to bring it in. I've got dive bombs that can take a 400 copper to 110-120'

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Talking about LONG coppers. found these on another site listed for sale

"One is loaded with 850 ft of 45# Bloodrun Super Copper
The other is loaded with 1000 ft of 45# Bloodrun Super Copper"

Ill stick to my 600.........

Edited by bout time