Trailer winch?

tannero

I need a new winch for my trailer. I'm running a 25 foot boat which is about 5500 pounds. Currently using an electric track winch. It worked okay but if the battery ever went dead it was almost useless to try to crank manually. The remote engage in self by accident on the way to Ontario and a burned out the clutches. So I need to either repair or replace or get a new one and I'm contemplating on getting a manual one. It is nice to have a wireless remote and I have the motor behind it but I felt that cranking could be just as fast.

Anyone that trailers have any good input on a decent winch for a big boat?

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by tannero

Run eight gauge wires from your truck battery to your winch. Put a forty amp circuit breaker close to the positive battery terminal. With the truck engine running it should keep charging the battery. Maybe heavier wire and a larger circuit breaker are needed for your winch.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

When choosing a winch, oversize it is always better. I use an 11,500 pound rated winch for my 18 foot boat. My garage is littered with older smaller winches that died on me.

Jeff- This may be what you are looking for...Has manual crank capability as well...not cheap but.....you have a beautiful boat,,,,it deserves the very best :)

http://www.wholesalemarine.com/powerwinch-12v-marine-boat-trailer-winch-915-9500-lb.html?utm_medium=cse&utm_source=bing

Run eight gauge wires from your truck battery to your winch. Put a forty amp circuit breaker close to the positive battery terminal. With the truck engine running it should keep charging the battery. Maybe heavier wire and a larger circuit breaker are needed for your winch.

X2 on this idea , this is what I did & it works great.

not sure of the trailer setup, but have you tried to "drive" the boat on, then maybe all you need is a hand crank or two to finish. I had a 24' and it drove on a bunk trailer very nice, now with a 19' its a piece of cake.

Edited by scobar

Jeff- This may be what you are looking for...Has manual crank capability as well...not cheap but.....you have a beautiful boat,,,,it deserves the very best :)

http://www.wholesalemarine.com/powerwinch-12v-marine-boat-trailer-winch-915-9500-lb.html?utm_medium=cse&utm_source=bing

hey there Les. Wowzer. That is nice but wow, it is pretty pricey. Maybe I'll just find a heavy duty kick butt manual winch.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

not sure of the trailer setup, but have you tried to "drive" the boat on, then maybe all you need is a hand crank or two to finish. I had a 24' and it drove on a bunk trailer very nice, now with a 19' its a piece of cake.

wish I had a bunker but don't trust driving my boat on my roller trailer.

X2 on this idea , this is what I did & it works great.

ok. Appreciate the info. I may just repair this electric one and see how it works w more juice.

A couple things come to mind immediately about the driving on the trailer suggestion. With a roller or part roller trailer trailer it is possible to do damage to the hull (make indentations in the bottom from pressure) and many launch ramps prohibit "power loading".

Jeff - I was sort of joking regarding that winch....truly a lot of money...especially when instead you can develop Popeye arms with the manual type for less money :lol:

The fact that your boat weighs 5500 pounds means exactly that. No more no less.

When you try to winch it onto your trailer specially one with rollers you probably do not need more that 3000 pounds pull,2500 is more like it.That is because all that weight is on rollers.(think ball bearings)

You can probably find a  good 3000 pound winch with optional hand crank for around $150. 

The golden rule is to always disconnect your cables when you are parked because there almost always is some draw of power, specially with a wet trailer.

As for bunks, you can get them online for about for about $150 and they are easily installed.

Edited by rolmops

Good point. My remote some how was pushed from lima to the genny so I will always disconnect the power to the winch when done.

The fact that your boat weighs 5500 pounds means exactly that. No more no less.

When you try to winch it onto your trailer specially one with rollers you probably do not need more that 3000 pounds pull,2500 is more like it.That is because all that weight is on rollers.(think ball bearings)

You can probably find a good 3000 pound winch with optional hand crank for around $150.

The golden rule is to always disconnect your cables when you are parked because there almost always is some draw of power, specially with a wet trailer.

As for bunks, you can get them online for about for about $150 and they are easily installed.

ha! You are like my wife..... always wanting to spend my money. :)

A couple things come to mind immediately about the driving on the trailer suggestion. With a roller or part roller trailer trailer it is possible to do damage to the hull (make indentations in the bottom from pressure) and many launch ramps prohibit "power loading".

Jeff - I was sort of joking regarding that winch....truly a lot of money...especially when instead you can develop Popeye arms with the manual type for less money :lol:

My boat wts. about 5000#. I have a Dutton Lainson(DL) winch mod. # SA 9000 & it pulls the boat on with no problem. The trailer is a roller/bunk combo. DL. also makes a SA 12000 model winch. You can also double the winch cable to the boat with a pulley on the boat & back to do winch anchor post which will increase the pulling power but cut the forward movement in half.

On my power cable from the battery I installed a 12v outlet with spring loaded outdoor cover & mounted to the hitch frame,. From there to the winch I made up an extension cord in between. I carry the cord in the truck & plug it in & out as needed to load the boat. Just an idea.

My boat wts. about 5000#. I have a Dutton Lainson(DL) winch mod. # SA 9000 & it pulls the boat on with no problem. The trailer is a roller/bunk combo. DL. also makes a SA 12000 model winch. You can also double the winch cable to the boat with a pulley on the boat & back to do winch anchor post which will increase the pulling power but cut the forward movement in half.

On my power cable from the battery I installed a 12v outlet with spring loaded outdoor cover & mounted to the hitch frame,. From there to the winch I made up an extension cord in between. I carry the cord in the truck & plug it in & out as needed to load the boat. Just an idea.

that's a nice looking wench. How was the clutch holding up on you. Mine was used with the bow when I got it but I noticed that the clutch didn't freewheel too well. It takes more time without a clutch to let the cable out but maybe that's a safer choice

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

My trailer has a winch motor on it and I never used it because the power cord has the plug for the winch but the other end has a plug that fits where the trailer plugs to the truck for the lights, and I didn't think that was right, so this winter I cut the end off and put two eyelets on to attach it to a battery I have in the back of the truck, and I put a 40 amp breaker at the battery side. I put 175# in the nose of the boat for better trolling, better steering no more wandering around, but it has made loading a handful as if you are not spot on it digs into the bow, I have to repair a few scratches as of now. My trailer is a full roller EZ loader, and I have to keep power to her so the other guy can attach the hook before I can shut her down.