Waste Fishing Line

Please don't discard your waste fishing line in the lakes. This is what can happen! Pulled this out of the water at Seager Marine today.

post-149161-14259423411035_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The duck may have hit a tip up but it's still a good message. My dad beat this into my head nonstop while i grew up. Shore fishermen seem to be the worst offenders on this. I walk my dog 365 days a year,usually along the canal and other waterways. I am forever picking up line and hooks. My dad would rise from the grave and kick my behind if i didn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I wouldn't be too quick to blame the tip up fishermen....not all of the mono out there comes from fishermen although it is a definite possibility/probability. Many kids and adults "helping" kids use mono to fly kites around the lake and some of the stuff gets tangled in the near ground branches of trees near sheltered areas where the ducks gather in large groups.I have found a couple over the years while shore fishing with remnants of the kite still attached.  It is more likely it came from the shoreline than out on the ice and we all do have  to be very careful in our habits when it comes to discarding used line or old lead based small split shot as well which is still not quite "extinct".

Personally, I would have to agree with Sk8man on that. I believe we are all understanding the risk and the repercussion of dumping mono or other into the water. Back in the 80's and even the 90's we all have caught trout and salmon with "six pack" plastic stuck to them. And Im sure we all have seen it, and we all have been disgusted by it, so I wouldnt jump to a conclusion that it was from fishing and Les points out a very plausible Explanation for it. As fisherman, and most of us, if not all of us conservationists, I doubt as thouh you would be able to point the blame on us. At least not the majority of us. There may well be other reasons why mono or other gets caught on fish or birds. Fisherman are well aware the dangers in "dumping" line. Not a practice we engage in. A Poll On the topic might shed some light... I seriously doubt it related to fishing.

I sure had my fair share of line wraped around the prop of the boat, and it wasn't are own, it's to the point I check it periodically. I know we are very careful with waste line on the account of birds and animals, and my prop!!!!

That's a nice Redhead which probably didn't steal it from a tipup as they generally eat vegetation and mollusks, not saying they might not be looking for an easy meal. 

I try to pick up all my line I lose and others I find laying around, but many are guilty of loosing fish with a few feet to a couple hundred feet of line still attached to them. I know I am just as guilty, had a salmon (pretty sure it was a nice king and a monster  :lol:  ) that spooled me and took all my 10 color lead core and a good chunk of my backing.

I'm a member of lotac Lake Ontario trib association council We have a catch and clean tourney every year in which most of the proceeded go to building and putting up line bins for people to put used line in What is keeping us or whoever from puting up line bins throughout the creek ?