Painting Dots on spoons

Let me reword this.

As I was powder painting some of my homemade spoons I made a stencil for dots and remember most spoons have an odd number of dots most of the time? Usually 5 or 7. I wonder why.

No it's not one of those why do they made a round pizza, cut into triangles and then put it in a square box questions.

post-143614-0-96799300-1427441605_thumb.jpg

Edited by Patriot

Cabin Fever for sure. My girlfriend, has a master's in Art. She told me that placing an odd number of objects makes it more natural.

Nature never lines things up in even distribution, but your mind wants to divide things in half. So by using an odd number of objects, such as dots, It's Appearance is seen as more natural. If you look at any famous flower arrangement painting, you would never find one with an even number of flowers. They don't  exist. Not by any "Master" artist, or famous. 

Dots catch fishermen.  I like a false eye on my spoons for realism but multiple dots get washed out when the spoon is flipping around.  Multiple dots really just are adding contrast.  The fish are not going to stop and consider even vs odd number of dots......if its hungry it eats.  In high sun and neutral fish I would rather my lure is realistic looking as to not give the fish any reason not to eat it.

Dots catch fishermen.  I like a false eye on my spoons for realism but multiple dots get washed out when the spoon is flipping around.  Multiple dots really just are adding contrast.  The fish are not going to stop and consider even vs odd number of dots......if its hungry it eats.  In high sun and neutral fish I would rather my lure is realistic looking as to not give the fish any reason not to eat it.

I don't believe fish are considering odd number over even either. That would make it a thought, and not a mind trick (tricking your mind into accepting it as more natural "feeling") . Personally, Iv'e never really considered it, but our lures do have and odd number of dots. I didn't do it on purpose, it just happened that way. 

Theresa is right about the "natural" look of irregularity in nature but that is true for the HUMAN eye....and there is experimentation to back it up in the field of visual perception  but as far as fish go it is still a "question mark" in terms of number or uniformity.  Spots themselves do relate to the natural state of things in that many species of baitfish have "markings" whether spots or discolorations. stripes etc. which differentiate the foreground from the background (figure/ground) which is a critical dimension of basic visual perception and it also may add "cues" to discriminating movement by nearly all species. Also at work on the examples that Ed showed is the fact that CONTRAST (such as light on dark background or dark on light background helps various species to to discriminate objects and to detect movement so the "spots" perform that function as well.

Edited by Sk8man