Extending Dowmrigger booms

Has anyone extended there cannon mag 10 booms? I'm running an outboard with a Gil bracket so in order to run a chute rigger I need to extend over the main motor. I don't have the beam of a 10' so off setting the rigger to port isn't really an option.

Any advise would be great.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

After measuring several times, looks likes like I need a foot plus a 6" risers so the ball doesn't bounce off the cowling!

I like the idea of a custom bracket though...hmm

Steve

Steve - I'm not sure what weights you have on them but if your mounts are secure as they are a foot shouldn't make much difference with 10 lb weights....heavier may be a different matter. Mine are gimble mounted in recessed mounts and I have tested them with the 10 lb weights with no problem but never normally run them that way as I don't have that necessity.

Steve - I'm not sure what weights you have on them but if your mounts are secure as they are a foot shouldn't make much difference with 10 lb weights....heavier may be a different matter. Mine are gimble mounted in recessed mounts and I have tested them with the 10 lb weights with no problem but never normally run them that way as I don't have that necessity.

I have them mounted on custom ash boards which are mounted directly into my swivel gimbals. Strength shouldn't be an issue with the brackets, I'm a worried about the added length on the body of the rigger. I don't plan on running anything heavier than a 10lb weight anyways. My mag 10's are adjustable booms so my plan is remover the 1st section closest to the body and adding my length there. Only issue I'm finding is locating a tube with structural strength and same size as the cannon tubes. 1.25OD with 1.05Id.

If you already have the extendable Cannon booms why not just use it as designed. It would seem that you should be fine with that second section on it or find someone with a solid 4 ft boom. I recently bought an extendable boom on LOU to replace the short one on a Digitroll. Someone may have a long solid one for sale...

The issue is the extendable booms are too short still. Even all the way out, they still make contact with the main motor, like I said before 1 foot extension on the 52" boom would be ideal.

Thanks I will try to pull up the later posts.

KJ Louise - Sorry I misinterpreted what you said initially I thought you meant you were leery about extending the sections because of possible strength issues. The above soluton sounds like a good one.

So I read all the info on extending booms! Thanks LOU!!!

After reading I ran out to HD and grabbed a 10' stick of 1-3/8 top rail brought it home and disassembled my rigger....

The remove the first boom section, pre drilled the set screws for the new section.. Had too gentle grind down the insert ends about 3" up the pipe after that it was slick going, now I have a 72" extendable boom to play with as soon as the ice melts.

I know everyone said by galvy but the black vynall pipe is perfect since now I don't have to paint anything and it's SHINNY

Thanks again fellas

So I read all the info on extending booms! Thanks LOU!!!

After reading I ran out to HD and grabbed a 10' stick of 1-3/8 top rail brought it home and disassembled my rigger....

The remove the first boom section, pre drilled the set screws for the new section.. Had too gentle grind down the insert ends about 3" up the pipe after that it was slick going, now I have a 72" extendable boom to play with as soon as the ice melts.

I know everyone said by galvy but the black vynall pipe is perfect since now I don't have to paint anything and it's SHINNY

Thanks again fellas

Did you use PVC pipe?

No I used a black coated galvanized pipe. Super strong hung the scale off it tonight and was able to pull 58lbs until I saw the table mounted base starting to lift.

It's absolutely sweet! I'm never buying booms again....lol