Leadcore tied directly to baby spin doctor or dodger?

run a leader off the core, I use 40 feet of 40 lbs. floro, then attach your spinny

40# leader on leadcore?

I've never needed more than 20#.

With baby spin doctors targeting spring cohos shorter leaders are better. 12-14" is all you need--cohos are very aggressive. 25-30# fly leaders.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

36ft leader of 20# fluorocarbon is all you need for small spinnys and spoons on leadcores. 16-18" of 30# fluoro for coho fly leaders

Sent from my E6782 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I know i'm in the minority here but I like short leaders for lead core 20ft and under sometimes as short at 7ft I feel it imparts better action to the lure and almost makes it whip a little bit and triggers a reaction bite especially on the real short leaders.  Sometimes forcing a quick response is better than going  to stealthy and giving them a chance to study the bait.  I found this out when i had a fray in a  longer leader and cut it back and was to lazy to do a new leader so just left it short ended up turning the day hectic now I usually keep at least one rigged short 

I'm with ifishy and Silver Fox on the shorter leader/better action. If you think about the fishes position in the water usually underneath and back and often following for a ways so 10 or 12 ft is plenty as far as the "stealth" issue and lure action may be a more powerful variable than stealth anyway in triggering a response from the fish regardless of species.

Edited by Sk8man

Yup, 15'-20' max on the leader off the lead core, and I tend towards to shorter end of that.  I've always used 20 lb fluorocarbon and never had an issue.  Too long of a leader and it negates the wandering/snaking action of the lead core that makes it so effective.

Edited by Tim Bromund

Also around 15" leaders from the baby SD to the penut fly.  6" Red Alderton "Action Flashers" with a penut fly are killer as well for spring coho.  There have been many days where a baby SD on one side and a 6" red Alderton on the other on 2 and 3 color cores off Walleye boards and I couldn't keep them in the water.  I've had fish hit them when I had the line in my hand as I was trying to attach the board to the line after deploying the lead core.