Crossing the Columbia River Bar

Ah the mighty Columbia! Graveyard of the Pacific . that's supposed to be the most dangerous water in the world. Fished the salmon run there a few years ago. Great coho fishing in the Pacific once you make it past the bar, and even better Chinook fishing in the buoy 10/ Columbia side of the bar. Conditions change so rapidly that coast guard sends out reports/ restrictions over the radio every 30 min. It's pretty crazy to experience, water can be like glass on the river and the ocen but the bar will have 14 ft swells. During that trip the coast Guard closed the bar quite a few times to recreational craft. My uncle has been fishing that water for 60+ years. He told me stories where back in the 50s he and his father would cross the bar in search of salmon with a row boat and a small outboard. He had a couple real close calls back in the day.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Salmo slayar

Ohh yea, Looks like the clip was from New Zealand. Here is a clip from the coast guard about the Columbia bar. Not as intense as the first footage, but gives you a good idea of what conditions can be like on a daily basis. The folks from the US Coast Guard to a great job is this video, true heroes.

Edited by Salmo slayar

That looks like fun.  Reminds me of the time my first season of salmon fishing in 1996 when we got caught 12 miles off shore in 500 fow in 8-10 footers in our brand new 19' Bayliner Bowrider. :tmi: :tmi: :tmi:

Edited by Tim Bromund

That looks like fun.  Reminds me of the time my first season of salmon fishing in 1996 when we got caught 12 miles off shore in 500 fow in 8-10 footers in our brand new 19' Bayliner Bowrider. :tmi: :tmi: :tmi:

I did the same thing Tim. A new 19' Sea Nymph fish & ski, new to salmon fishing out of the Salmon River. My wife & I went out in 4 foot seas coming from shore while boats were coming in. Got about a mile out, rigged up and turned into them and started taking water over the bow and running to the back of the boat while the waves got bigger.

I'll never forget it. My wife was crying for her mother. Was I scared, heel yea I was.

That was the day I gained a huge amount of respect for Mother O.

I don't care what size boat you have, when its time to come in, don't mess with Mother O.

Whoa, I am trying to un-pucker but I can't.

We got caught back in the 80's in a 14' Grunman with a 9.9hp on it in some 5-6 footers a couple of times in the ESLO. I remember traveling against the waves NW for about 45 minutes so we could line up on a SE course back into the Oak. Pulling that 180 in between waves was a little unnerving.

These boats are special designs for this area. Double hulls, low center of gravity and bullet proof windows are needed to receive approval for these trips. 8 to 10 people are killed annually here trying this trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app