LODI CREEK-NO FISHING

A buddy of mine went to Lodi creek and fished last Friday.He had permission from the people that have the cottage on the north side of the creek. When he came back,a sheriff and the owner of the trailer park was waiting for him. He did not trespass on the trailer park land. The north side of the creek is not posted or any warning signs of any kind. No tickets were given but they told him NO FISHING in Lodi creek.How can someone tell you you can't go fishing on land that they do not own and you have permission to go? PS The creek is full of fish.

Edited by TROUTMAN 87

Why would you tell everyone the creek is full of fish?? Let them spawn and get back to the lake.. I know the owner of the campground and he is a great guy .. He does give permission to a few but is doing his best to help the Bows spawn and get back to the lake which is great !! At least someone is trying to help save these runs of fish... I know he has his land posted from the bridge up but maybe they are in co hoots with the other land owners as well down stream as well I know its just not him that has there land posted there.... Have your friend have the owners call Dec and get it straightened out so he can fish below the bridge that would be a option. ..

Mike

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

When I read the original post and saw that it is loaded with fish my original thought was "because it is closed to fishing"  Open it up and all those fish will be in a smoker somewhere.  Mike is right.  Call the DEC region 8 people and get clarification.

btw, I have fished one of those streams that see no pressure and it is absolutely incredible how the trout seems to be as eager as sunfish to hit your bait.  I felt guilty and left.

Just a small suggestion about handling fish that you will be releasing- avoid handling them near the gill area or inserting fingers etc. and it will increase their chances of survival long term.

Creek rainbow s are just fun to catch and release anyway. Their colors are beautiful.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Catch and release in spawning streams is a essential today and also should have been years ago... Great practice keep it up... Nice looking Bow by the way

Mike

Edited by Iron Duke

c & r or not I feel these small feeder streams should be no fishing permitted anyways. it cant be that much fun to catch fish in six inches of water when you can almost jump across the creek. not much skill there! let them reproduce

I contacted my friend the owner of the campground and he wanted me to post so all know whats going on.. I give him big props for what he is doing..

Mike

"It is posted across the stream with a yellow rope with posted signs hanging from it. I own both sides to the center of the creek. The owners past me do not want people on their land either. The DEC also comes to check the creek as it is not a trout stream that the fishing easement has been sold to NY State therefore it is trespassing to be on it".

I contacted my friend the owner of the campground and he wanted me to post so all know whats going on.. I give him big props for what he is doing..

Mike

"It is posted across the stream with a yellow rope with posted signs hanging from it. I own both sides to the center of the creek. The owners past me do not want people on their land either. The DEC also comes to check the creek as it is not a trout stream that the fishing easement has been sold to NY State therefore it is trespassing to be on it

GOOD!!!

Edited by darkwater1

Thanks Mike.  Other places to fish.  People will survive without it.

I think we need a moderator on this site to delete spot burning.

Skinny water should always be left unmentioned.  A quick google search verifies this.  There is no valid argument for spot burning this body of water.  I never knew there was fish there until today.  I looked on the map because i know where Lodi is and there it is - a little itsy bitsy creek which should be left unnamed.  Right now lurkers are trying to determine the best means of plundering this nursery.  Posted land only keeps law abiding citizens off of it.  The owner of that campground should have his hands full for a couple of weeks.  He probably has the sheriff on speed dial.  Maybe a mod should just delete the entire post.

The DEC, Sherrif and State troopers know who as permission and dont and patrol it day and night but im sure you still have some snaggers trying to push the issue...

Mike

Edited by Iron Duke

well i have fished that creek for the last 25 years with written permission until this year. If i was the park owner,  i would've done the same thing as we all would, buy it up and shut it down like he did. He was smart,  paid alot of money to buy the gateway in and shut it down. Had alot of great memories there, wish I could share it with my sons, but as a land owner I know about taxes and liability insurance. As for the run there, no shortage of Bows, last 4 years were unbelievable! All you guys so hooked on the C&R thing should go to Pine Valley now, bet you would really get bent at that carnage! At least I figured out your perch without help.

Doubtful unless he has a pass .. He does a great job up there keeping the clowns out....

Mike

Yup I check that spot some times mike! Other spots just like it up and down lake that are some what protected. My four word post was all I could warrant. LOL have a good night fellas. Sean

Smelters are an even bigger problem than lifters. "Smelters" can quickly catch or drive most of the rainbows out of a small creek. No easier way to get fresh spawn than to go smelting. I am so glad the creek is posted!

I've fished Lodi since I was 12yrs. Old and have no problem with it being posted up. The biggest problem the previous owner had was with the garbage left behind. Every time I'd fish it I'd bring back a backpack full of ****. 9/10 of us on here are responsible fishermen who help pick up the trash. Line,beer cans,wrappers,and other misc. Junk. The owner said that he'll open it up in the future but it's going to be by permission only and responsible fishermen who practice carry in - carry out. I'm all for it being posted up. Let them spawn and get the numbers back up so we can enjoy this stream when we're older and have kids/grandkids and want to teach them the ways of the creek. There's plenty of other tribs to fish within 15-20min. that are still very fishable as long as we take the time to take care of them too.

Sent from my XT1254 using Lake Ontario United mobile app