Real Silver NK28 Tarnish

Hey all, I recently picked up some new in package, old NK28s. So old in fact, that the Real Silver is tarnishing on the edges and the bottom (by the hook) of a bunch of them.

Wondering if silver cleaner would remove the tarnish without affecting the performance of the spoon, from a visual or olfactory perspective?

Thoughts?

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

It should work fine I've used it many times in the past I just rinse them in dish soap (Dawn) afterward and then dry them real good

Mothers makes a alum and mag polish that says its safe for all metals, stuff works great. I have bought old lures and brought them back to new condition, you can get it at any auto parts store. Like Les said clean em up after.

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

First off congrats on your purchase, yea like Les stated, I bought at a flea market some old Sutton spoons and I tried auto polish but that gave the one I was working on real slight swirl marks so I stopped did some research on the Sutton spoon and learned they were real silver so I got my wife's silver polish and I be damned they shine like no other spoon. Good luck with your purchase.

I wonder if magic eraser's would work? I also have some real silver finished spoons that are tarnished. Going to try now will get back with the results. Wifey just informed me that we are out of erasers. I will get back to you after I try it.

Edited by sanfordnson

If you have a slow speed drill you can cut the tip off a cue-tip and stick the cut end into the drill and polish slowly using toothpaste or better yet jeweler's rouge. A brass tumbler would polish them up nicely too.

I posted this a few years ago....it really works and does not add odor to lures:

I tried this on a half dozen old Northern Kings that were moderately to heavily tarnished. They look as good as new after just a few minutes. Wish I would have taken pictures, but I did not expect this to work.

1.) Fill a bowl (I used a glass bowl, but doubt that it matters) with hot water from the tap
2.) Dissolve as much salt in the bowl as possible
3.) Add strips of aluminum foil to the bottom of the bowl (you could probably just line the bottom with foil)
4.) Clean any debris or film off the lures with tap water and a paper towel
5.) Put the tarnished lure in the bowl. You will see the lure brightening within minutes.
6.) After lure is the desired brightness, thoroughly rinse to remove all traces of saltwater and dry off with a paper towel
7.) Dispose of saltwater and foil

I tried moving the lure in the water, but it did not seem to speed up the reaction. I had a lure that was a little stubborn and found it had a film on it. Wiped it off, put it back in the bowl and it cleaned just like the others (this is where step 4 came from!). There was another lure that was not brightening in the crevices, again wiped with a paper towel and put back in the bowl and it brightened right up.

Most silver polishes, toothpastes etc will scratch the silver.  The best polish is WD-40.  Believe it or not that stuff really works.  Also works great on chrome & nickel. Simply wipe it off with a soft paper towel.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Props to kayaker919 - I tried the hot water/baking soda/salt technique. Lo and behold, it worked! I took some before and after pictures; not sure if they turned out but here they are:post-157032-14301832690869_thumb.jpgpost-157032-14301832828228_thumb.jpgpost-157032-14301833002984_thumb.jpgpost-157032-14301833106698_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United