Another big board question

Be my first year running big boards I don't have leadcore and not get a setup any time soon.

My question is if I run out to 30/40ft of water to find the bite will a split shot work getting down to depths? Just curious if that would and how it would effect spoon/stick action? If so weight and distance from lure? Trying to stay away from the dipsey if I can right now. I don't have slide divers. Might have to look into that though.

Thanks.

You can get down a few feet (depending on speed)with 3 or so large split shot  about 3 to 4 ft ahead of the stick and it will also keep the grass off to a degree. It will affect the action somewhat depending on the stick and size of it so test it at the side of the boat beforehand. I usually use it with jointed sticks as it seems to affect them less.

The Off Shore 50/50 methood might be on the Internet by now?? If not its in the Big Water edition of the Precision trolling. They also have the 70% methood. The 50/50 is 50 feet of line out then your snap weight with 1/2oz thru 6o/z and another 50ft of line out, the 70% is 70ft out snap weight at 70ft then another X amount of feet out, I can't remember the excact amount but I think another 70ft out.

You'd be better off with drop weights or find a weight depth chart and use OR16 clips and lead weights to make your own .you should be able to find a weight /chart to figure depth .

So the clips don't come off on accident when u are fighting the fish with the shake on the line?

• 2 weeks later...