Jigging for lakers...

Hey folks, I was hopping for a little advice on jigging up some lakers. I have never done it and I'm thinking of taking my kayak on Seneca this week and trying it. What are the best lures to use? I'm assuming ya target 100fow for them? And help will be appreciated. Thanks and good luck to ya'll!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Good advice in those threads above... 1 oz jigs with soft plastics - lunker city shakers or swimfish, BPS plastics etc. White or chartreuse are usually good colors. Also jigging spoons are a good bet at times. Normally lakers are pretty scattered in spring. Haven't fished Seneca yet this year but we've had good luck jigging Cayuga out of long point over the last month or so 80-150 FOW has been where we marked/caught most fish. I'd try between Sampson and Geneva, around Belhurst is always a good bet...

Here is the guide I used when I was looking to figure out how to Jig for Lakers a few years ago. All information on here is still relevant today. - http://cayugafisher.net/pages/resdex.php

You can also buy top quality Jigs here - http://deepwater.cayugafisher.net/index.php

I have used these Jig heads for around 4 years now and never had a problem. The hooks they have are also the sharpest and strongest I have ever found on a Jig head. 

I have caught lots of Lakers in the past few years jigging using the information on that site and the top quality gear from @Hermit. 

-Pete  

Thank you very much guys! I will definitely have my PFD on for sure. Sounds crazy but honestly this is the warmest weather I will have had it out in. I usually use it to set my decoy spread and retrieve ducks.

I was really think of hitting the south end of the lake like around painted rocks. Is that a good spot? I have done real good there trolling in the past. My boat is undergoing repairs and won't be swimming for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Not sure about the south end but right in front of Sampson can be excellent fishing.  This time of year it's a little tougher as the fish are all over the place (and a lot are still very deep), but once things settle out in June you can often pound on the lakers directly in front of the marina, or if in a kayak the next point north can be good too.  I think now it's possible to catch them there too but not with the same consistency as in a month.  That's a good spot all summer.  Also as cronoticed said and if you feel comfortable with with a few miles of paddling, in front of Belhurst can be good this time of year.

Alec