Inline boards for salmon

Was just wondering how many of you run inline boards for salmon and how in the heck do you get them in on a board I fish for eyes mostly and a big eye can be tuff with a board on. Thanks for any info!

Sent from my C811 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

For salmon the best way is place a bead stop roughly 10ft in front of the business end. You replace the rear pinch pad (I run offshores) with a big swival. This alow the board to move freely down the line and let's the fish take line without pulling the board under. All this being said with the fact that the pinch pad on the front must release. I use Sam's Pro releases on the front, they are adjustable so when the fish hits the board releases just like a downrigger would.

Was just wondering how many of you run inline boards for salmon and how in the heck do you get them in on a board I fish for eyes mostly and a big eye can be tuff with a board on. Thanks for any info!

Inline boards and coppers and cores go hand in hand. There is a learning curve to be had in playing a fish with them but, in my opinion, there isn't a better way to run multiple coppers or cores. You won't see ANY charter captains in Michigan running big boards--they ALL run inlines. Hookups are better and, once you get the hang of fighting fish on them, the landing ratio is FAR Better.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I have big boards but inlines seem to work better for me but hooking up with a 20 plus lb king has me alittle shy on running them lol.

I would rather deal with a 28# king on a long copper off a TX44 than a 20# King off a big board. The attached inline will wear a big fish down quicker than anything. If he happens to sink the board simply free spoil your reel until it pops back up and then reel in your wore out fish.

Why in the world after spending all that money on gear, trolling around waiting to do battle with a beast.......want the fight to be over sooner? 

Why in the world after spending all that money on gear, trolling around waiting to do battle with a beast.......want the fight to be over sooner? 

X2 copper and otters match made in heaven . Lost to many big kings on inlines they take the fun out of fighting a fish it's more like fighting a board . my two cents.

i'm in it for the sport I wouldnt want to ware them out faster the less on the line the better a light rod a light leader and nothing else but the fish in my world thats what I want. its not about the numbers landed its about the fun had.  However for each person the important parts of the experience are differnet thats why some will always run inlines and some never will. I have tried them they catch fish but not the way i like it so for now i stick to big boards.

i'm in it for the sport I wouldnt want to ware them out faster the less on the line the better a light rod a light leader and nothing else but the fish in my world thats what I want. its not about the numbers landed its about the fun had. However for each person the important parts of the experience are differnet thats why some will always run inlines and some never will. I have tried them they catch fish but not the way i like it so for now i stick to big boards.

Exactly! Caught kings on Ugly Stik light action rods and 12lb test the last few days... I wouldn't get out of bed if we were fighting Inlines. That's just lame. Even getting them on cores and coppers off big boards or down the chute has a diminished experience for me, but they do work well and that forces me to keep deploying them. I would never run an inline ever for anything...

I think it is kind of hilarious that we get so personally attached to a given way of doing this stuff or the specific equipment involved :lol:  ....almost like chefs arguing over recipes :)  Whatever works and to each his/her own I guess...

Not for nothing but if you're only interested in "sport" or "the fight" coppers and lead cores shouldn't even be on your boat! There is nothing sporting or enjoyable about either! And you're not releasing fish with them either. They are fish killing devices so don't kid yourself and say you're "in it for the sport"!

Released 40+ fish in the last week off lead cores Paul... All survived just fine. How's that compare to releasing fish after wearing them out with Inlines? I've got to believe much worse. No one is offending or attacking anyone, but clearly some people enjoy fighting the fish and some people like to fight plastic devices in the water. As Sk8 said, to each his own.

Released 40+ fish in the last week off lead cores Paul... All survived just fine. How's that compare to releasing fish after wearing them out with Inlines? I've got to believe much worse. No one is offending or attacking anyone, but clearly some people enjoy fighting the fish and some people like to fight plastic devices in the water. As Sk8 said, to each his own.

Fish release much easier in cold water. In summer not so much. Lead cores and coppers are designed to kill fish not be sporting--that was my point. People fishing on my boat do not "fight" any plastic devices--they are taught how to properly reel the board to the boat. Like you said--to each his own.

Hey Paul, you say I never listen to you. Not totally true - I love my TX-44's !! :)  Both styles boards have a time and place.

See ya at The Orleans Open bud. Jeff is joining me for a couple days so we'll get a beer or two!

Edited by Fishtails

Not for nothing but if you're only interested in "sport" or "the fight" coppers and lead cores shouldn't even be on your boat! There is nothing sporting or enjoyable about either! And you're not releasing fish with them either. They are fish killing devices so don't kid yourself and say you're "in it for the sport"!

i dont disagree with this at all the longest lead core i own is a 5 color I have a copper but never run it unless i'm derby fishing because I cant stand reeling it in.  i love fresh fish and what i dont eat the people at work will take in a second so if a fish wont make it I keep it.  I guess the better statement is I'm in it for the fight I use 18lb test lead core and with the shorter segments big fish still fight and small fish come in quick enough to release.  the next time i go to change out the line I will be trying the micro-lead.  my fishing time is very limited so i try to maximize the parts I enjoy most.

Otter boards and one copper per side for me. Nothing better than watching the line getting plucked from the release!! Then your fighting the fish and not a board. It would be nice to run multiple coppers per side. But I'm a small boat guy and only run 6 lines. Benefits to both ways. No each his own.

Otter boards and one copper per side for me. Nothing better than watching the line getting plucked from the release!! Then your fighting the fish and not a board. It would be nice to run multiple coppers per side. But I'm a small boat guy and only run 6 lines. Benefits to both ways. No each his own.

X2 coppers off of otters rock. The 200 is my best big fish producer short coppers off big boards still let the fish fight without killing them. The big sections I run down the shoot with a cone

Edited by bigblue