Tough Morning at Sackets.

Kevin J Legg

Fished Guffins and Chaumont on Thursday morning in pretty decent waves and only caught one 6 lb. walleye. Friday I took my niece to BRB and got skunked. We tried sticks, and deep divers of many varieties, and even ran a three color lead core and a rigger for a while. Changed up colors, speed and depths. We did take a couple hits but they came unbuttoned. Also had three lures cut off in the same location! Not sure if they were pike or something that may have been on the bottom. It was where a point stuck out into about 32 fow so I didn't think I was hitting bottom. Lost two tail dancers and a reef runner all had the line cut above the swivel using straight 10 lb. mono. May run some 20 lb. floro leaders next time I go.

We saw a bunch of bait dimpling the surface early in the morning and saw several fish netted in 35 to 50 fow. About 15 boats were scattered around the area including a few charters. I got a bit frustrated when a boat on each side running the same speed as of us netted fish and we couldn't catch one as I wanted my niece to get one.

Just one of those days I guess. I changed up lures, speeds, colors depths and presentations but just couldn't find a pattern. Latter in the morning when the sun got higher and the water was flat the boats really scattered and many left the area.

Although your niece didn't catch any eyes and I know you tried your best Kevin, it just seems that's the way it goes, been there done that!! We all know you kick a$$ with the eyes all season, she will have to go again, now that wouldn't be a bad thing for either one of you!!! I know I wouldn't have a problem with that!! Best of luck next time I'm sure you wll produce.

Sorry for the delayed response - had to take a last minute business trip to India, just landed in Mumbai. Really cutting into my family and fishing time... Won't be back until next Sunday.

Always run Fluoro leaders. With sticks the leader is only the length of the rod because I use beads with a barrel swivel to keep debris off the business end - 10lb Seaguar. On all of my cores I have 40-45' of 12 lb Seaguar. Lots of controversy on leader length on cores... long has worked great for me so I've never changed it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Lake Ontario United mobile app