Cayuga Jigging Advice

The forecast looks perfect for me to jig tonight.  Since I don't have a trolling motor I am limited to those rare windless days to have any chance of keeping verticle.  Going to be launching out of Myers, any tips, tricks, advice, starting depths, etc. are appreciated.  It's my first time trying to get them on the jig, so all (most) comments are welcome. 

Thanks,

Chris

Use the wind to your advantage. You will cover alot more water on a drift. Just time it and toss out ahead so your just about to pass over when you hit bottom. I usually run slowly and mark a bunch of fish and then set up a drift on that line. There is plenty of threads on here with much more specific info if you search it.

Thanks Chuck.  We had a fun night - a couple short strikes and had one follow all the way to the boat.  It was a nice break from trolling.  Looking forward to trying again.

Chris... I seldom use a trolling motor and  I catch fish jigging... Just stay fairly  close to  bait with "marks" around it.. Even if you don't see "marks" around the bait, its likely there are fish close by or on bottom... I always do better when I stay vertical, but windless days are rare on any of the Fingers... As stated, casting into the wind helps a lot, and these days I catch more fish "racing" the lure up anyway... Its only a theory, but I feel the fish are getting wise to the typical yo yo action  many jig fishermen use.. Once a laker has been hooked a few times that way, they  probably wise up.. Just a theory,but I have found I catch less fish using a standard jigging motion than  I do on a fast retrieve from the bottom.. For that one reason alone, I seem to do ok when not being "vertical"...You will too... Keep at it, and one day soon you will be jigging  in an area with active "chasing" fish, and you will forget about trolling......... maybe......... bob