Canandaigua 6-22-15

I fished solo today from the north end from 7:30AM until about 5 Pm then took my wife for a boat ride for another hour (guess I've had enough boating for one day :lol: ). Started out north of the pump station in about 55 ft of water and started marking bait and fish almost immediately...hoards of bait and some fish nearby. Couldn't get them to go after multiple tries from every direction. I was running2 riggers with sliders and a 6 color leadcore with a Great Lakes spoon silver and purple stripe #44 and once I got about to German Brothers it was game on with a beautiful rainbow that jumped multiple times. He measured at 26 1/2 inches and was returned to the water unharmed and was then marked in my Angler Diary. I then trolled a couple miles south and then back north all without any action so i decided to go to the east side and trolled south and another rainbow took the leadcore with a no name silver spoon and he was airborne for about half the battle. A nice 23 incher that was recorded and returned unharmed. It was about noon then and I trolled the rest of the afternoon without any hits on either the downriggers or the 275 copper which I tried at various depths in place of one of the riggers...nothing One more brief hit and drag going out and gone on the core. That was it for the rest of the afternoon no matter what I tried. A fun day on the pond but hot as H.

When I made it to about the Christian camp I turned toward Danny Wegman's place and went to the west side. at about 180 ft of water I encountered VERY large pods of pond like algae and sticks and debris spread out over that area. so i stopped going south. The north end water was basically clear of debris and the water was very green colored and not clear at all. I'd steer clear of the southern area because there is some thin grass in the mix that gets on all your stuff beside all the other crap. Surface temp started the day at 71 but late afternoon there was a lot of 75 degree water

I had some interesting screens today and one was a real puzzle not sure what that structure was but the fish and bait sure hugged it (near the water plant) see questionmark pic

post-145411-0-26389800-1435023205_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-14305900-1435023228_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-23671800-1435023254_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-46595200-1435023268_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-30232300-1435023288_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-71256100-1435023370_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-26106700-1435023620_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-88619200-1435023653_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-39242300-1435023700_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

Good to see you out there Les.  I was only out for a couple hours (4 - 6) and only had the one laker that spit the hook back at me right at the boat.  Looked to be a good 5+.  He was just north of German Brothers down 60 over 100 and grabbed a FLT Bob Barker.  Looks like things are settling down a little now and hopefully we'll get some consistency.

Nice job and great report, some beautiful silvers....That last Lowrance pic has me puzzled for sure.. Maybe a boat laying on the bottom

Mike

Sent from my SM-N910V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Iron Duke

Thanks guys.  Good seeing you too Ted and sure glad we fished yesterdays weather rather than today's :lol: .  Interesting take on that structure Mike....that was what I was wondering as well. I had another pic of it too that looked even more like an overturned boat :) Next time I'll put the down scan on it I was too busy changing out stuff this time to mess with it.

post-145411-0-77015800-1435056921_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

Overturned boat with weeds possibly growing from the bottom .. pretty cool tho.. The lowrance elite series are great fish finders I have the 5 cause the 7 wasn't out yet but I love it... Never let's me down..

Mike

Sent from my SM-N910V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Iron Duke

Yes I like mine a lot too. I just wish their manuals and servicing were up to par.It is a matter of having to figure out everything yourself. Prior to Navico taking over Lowrance they were a bit better.

I used to Scuba dive in front of the water plant and they had a large wooden box near one of the intakes.  That may be what you are picking up on your screen.  The structure was taller than I am (and this was 30 years ago).

Interesting....thanks. I'll try to remember to take a closer look with the down imaging next time I'm there.

Les,

Nice bows! I was out for a trip at about 3pm and passed by you on the way out. We had a very tough first couple hours but did find a bite between 5 and 7. Most towards 7. Mostly lakers for us in the 3-4lb range. Lost a couple of bigger ones. Thought I had them all figured out after Saturday lol.

Thanks Paul.....I was wondering if that was you heading out. Good going on the lakers I think those may some of the things I was seeing on the screen but weren't hitting. Normally I only fish for them (i.e. deeper) during derbies anymore and concentrate of the silvers but I'm not a charter guy either :) . Thanks Mike. Lets hope things take shape soon on Seneca and it's not just the June thing....

The first and second week of July has nearly always been real good for silvers for me there so I guess that may be the telling thing....I'm hoping it is just that things are behind....the bait being in shallow still suggests that.

Hey way to Les, I have to say those are some beautiful pictures, very clear, I see you got your elite 7 going, what chip do you have in it? Your absolutely correct about the instruction manual, they might as well saved the paper and send you a roll $hit paper because you would get more out of it. I guess you herd the news? I finally got my boat up to the lake fished for 3hrs and decided to head down to Chaumont Bay we were almost up on plane when she just sat back down in the water, at firs I thought it came out of gear but it was in forward gear so I tried reverse to no avail checked for a torn cable and everything moving as per plan. WTF. so we fired up the kicker and motored over to the nearest dock where we met the nicest man in the world a NY local. he let us tie off there and took us over to camp to get our truck, and he insisted he took our trailer, so we grabbed a drink did the bathroom thing probably took up to 10 minutes by the time we got back over there he had our boat sitting on the blacktop waiting for us to hook on. I offered him money he insisted that he didn't want anything. Long story short some time ago he was stranded out on the lake and a PA. fisherman towed him along way to his dock and he said if he could ever return the favor he would, well we happened to be those lucky guys and because we were from PA he went the extra mile. Well I'm ready to make the trip north to install my new to me lower unit. oh yea I blew apart the lower unit, when I bought this boat the lower unit was just rebuilt!! only thing is the Hemlock that put it together forgot the shims on the upper gear set and it ripped all the teeth of the gears. I bought another boat with the same outdrive for $150.00 and I replaced all the seals and water pump, that's how I know the shims were forgotten when I pulled this gear set there were a stack of them in there unlike mine. So we should be good to go. talk to ya later PAP. 

Man Mike....sorry to hear about your motor problem but great to hear there are still good samaritans out there and that things turned out OK :yes:  Also sounds as though you were sitting on a "time bomb" that could have gone off in a lot worse places (e.g. middle of Lake O somewhere) Best of luck with the new retrofit.

I forgot to mention something Monday that could be useful info for folks that fish Canandaigua.  During the AM up to about 1 PM I noted fish and bait clouds in spots as noted in the screen pics above but when I returned to those exact spots later in the day I didn't mark ANYTHING at all. It seemed to prove the often said thing about the effects of boat traffic as there were all sorts of rec boats and especially jet skiers out there in the general areas. It may be advisable to get an earlier start and then quit earlier to avoid some of the yoyos

Edited by Sk8man

Thanks Les, Yea I realize that it could have been worse!!! Because I was really thinking about shooting over to Galloo, Yikes!!! Anyway it took over an hour at 2.5 mph with the kicker. What chip are you using in your Lowrance elite 7 hdi?

The one that came with the combo the Lake Insight Pro map.  I haven't used it much as I am so familiar with the places I fish that I really don't even need the depth finder  to estimate the depth anymore. :lol:

Edited by Sk8man