When to use flashers/dodger

I just started trolling and I want to know when you should use flashers and how far away from your spoon they should be. I have 2 electric downriggers that I stack. How many flashers/dodgers should I use for this setup? Also what is the difference between flasher and a dodger.  

I would start with 22" -26" most people run flies behind them or meat rigs..more is always not better..too much can scare them away...but I'm probably not the best person to ask ..I have run spoons behind flashers it's only ever produced one 17lb king 4 me and that was on a turn I had probably a 3 ft lead on that...I would stick to flies and if fishing is tough can't hurt to experiment with spoons

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have caught all kinds of fish using flashers on everything,flies meat spoons and plugs.

I usually run it tight on flies maybe 30" tops a little longer on meat 3-4 feet and up to 6 feet away with plugs and spoons.

However you gotta mix it up i only use flashers on spoons when the usual isnt working.

Good luck

Here are the basic differences between flashers and dodgers and a pic of a Spin Doctor as well. There are also different sizes available in these items.

Pic 1 is the face or front side of (from left to right) 2 number 0 dodgers (blue/silver one and red one) Note the slight cupping on the ends that gives rise to a gentle swaying back in forth in terms of action

Next to the right is a flasher (wonderbread design) with a fly  different shaped bends in the ends without cupping giving a more pronounced but generally tighter back and forth motion or action

On the right is a Spin Doctor/ fly setup  It has a very different action than both the dodger or flasher it revolves round and round making the fly come through the water erratically back and forth. There are two sets of attachment holes one set at each end and placement determines the speed /action of the fly

Pic 2 is the undersides of each item - Note the little rudder like affair  at the end of the flasher and  Spin Doctor and its absence on the dodger

post-145411-0-68547300-1435761560_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-78862200-1435761574_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man