Seneca Weekend South

Haven't been out a ton this season.  Made a few early season trips in the southend with mixed results.  Most of my fish came casting with a fly rod but got several trolling as well.  Got sidetracked with house projects and some small stream fishing later this spring but from reports I've read didn't miss too much.

Got out on the lake a few times over this holiday weekend with my girlfriend riding shotgun.  She doesn't get way into managing the rods, but she loves to drive and watch the fish finder which is great.

We fished for about 1.5 hrs with a few rods on Friday evening off Peach Orchard and it was a beautiful evening, but nada for fish.  Got out after the rains on Sat am and fished south along painted rocks to the harbor and then straight up the middle over deeper water and then over to the Salt Point and a little beyond.  Ran 6 lines from 75ft to the surface with assorted hardware for about 2 hours ..... nada.  Didn't mark almost anything.  A few stray arcs but no significant bait....  Pretty discouraging but consistent with reports.

Planned on getting out early today and heading farther north.  The conditions were nice but we got a late start.  We setup on the westside north of glenora heading north and immediately marked some nice bait pods in the upper water column with a few arcs nearby.  Set a shallow program and it wasn't long before the leadcore (3 colors) started banging and I saw a nice silver leaper way back, a few more jumps and got a nice feisty 21" bow to the net.  His jaw was pretty ripped up so he went into the cooler.  He ate a DW blue dolphin.  Bout 30 mins later looped around and back through the same area and the 30ft rigger pops,  another leaper but this time a nice salmon.  He bit a DW chicken wing and went in the cooler as well.  Kept working the same area for a bit but things slowed down.  We headed south past Glenora with some less dense bait pods and arcs, but by then the pleasure boats were out in force so we retreated to home.  I think we would have done better if we got out earlier but it was nice to beat the skunk and find some fish, now we get to enjoy the first fish dinner of the summer!

Didn't see too many boats out fishing friday/saturday and a handful today.  No shortage of water skiers and jet skies though!! Hard to blame em though it was a pretty nice weekend to be out.

Water was real murky in the south end, but cleared nicely heading north,  surface temps from 65-67.  Very few fleas but I am running flea flicker.  Almost no significant debris or weeds.

Jon

Jon, the south end has been very off this time of year as it normally does. Where you got your silvers and north treated us well. Good job.

Nick

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Glad to hear that someone is at least finding a few. I trolled all the way from Lodi to 2 miles north of Sampson yesterday on the east side only catching one dink salmon and a small laker about 1/2 mile north of Sampson. Setup on the west side this morning around 7 a little south of the Showboat and headed north. Trolled up the west side well beyond long point from 40' to 200+' and never moved a rod. Turned around and headed back south well past Severn, then crossed the lake to give the east side a go and same story! NADA!! 9&1/2 hours (a new record for me on this lake without a fish). I told ERABBIT today we're changing the name from Seneca to the "Dead Sea". Next week, headed to the St. Lawrence to jig for a few pike - something's gotta change.

Jon, the south end has been very off this time of year as it normally does. Where you got your silvers and north treated us well. Good job.

Nick

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yeah I usually do well in that area and its not too far from home.  Were you mostly getting lakers or any silvers?  

Glad to hear that someone is at least finding a few. I trolled all the way from Lodi to 2 miles north of Sampson yesterday on the east side only catching one dink salmon and a small laker about 1/2 mile north of Sampson. Setup on the west side this morning around 7 a little south of the Showboat and headed north. Trolled up the west side well beyond long point from 40' to 200+' and never moved a rod. Turned around and headed back south well past Severn, then crossed the lake to give the east side a go and same story! NADA!! 9&1/2 hours (a new record for me on this lake without a fish). I told ERABBIT today we're changing the name from Seneca to the "Dead Sea". Next week, headed to the St. Lawrence to jig for a few pike - something's gotta change.

Oh no, the Dead Sea...   I don't keep my boat on the trailer, its in a lift so there is a lot of inertia to stay put, but 9.5hrs w/o a fish is a long troll, good luck on St.Lawrence