side scan sonar,is it worth it

john1947

Hi,
I joined a bass club this year for a bit of diversion from just trolling .I have talked to some guys about the new sidescan which seems to help alot even with the bass.Ive also heard about the humminbird 360.Nice unit some bugs still though.Just wondered if any of you experience in this new technology.technology. Ive been looking at the gamins gpsmap74sv looks good. as i got two units,178c and a 431.I like the 178c better even if it's a older united
Comments welcome.
Good fishing
john

Edited by john1947

If you bass fishing the side scan is awesome. I've found a bunch of structure that I never even knew was there. I recently found a submerged bridge. I use the Humminbird 798 ci si older unit but works great. Looking to upgrade to an Onix 8 with the 360 soon. Don't really need it for trolling 2d and GPS mapping with contours and of course the LOU site!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I was out with a knowledgeable guy last week who had side scan and knew how to read it. I've never seen it before. Now i can't wait for my old unit to fail so i can justify getting it.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I use it to troll structure...I depend on it. If you are in open water it is of absolutely no use. I also use it to find slightly deeper troughs that lead up to shallows. Walleyes use the deeper water to come in to feed and I set up to ambush them. If you fish structure imaging is well worth it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app