Cayuga Cayuga 7/5

Went out with my wife yesterday afternoon.  Started setting lines in 130 FOW north of Long Point.  Took a shot on the dipsy before we got the whole spread out - big fish, shook the hook.  Kept trolling south and stopped marking.  Fished from 130-90 FOW with no screen.  Pointed the boat back north, got back out to 130 when we decided to clear lines.  Brought in the first stacked rigger, and there was a little rainbow shaker on there.  Not sure how long he'd been on for, but he was still in good shape.  As we tossed him back, the deep rigger started shaking - 3.5lb laker.  Introduced him to his new vacation home, and kept clearing lines.  As I was bringing in the starboard dipsy, something pounded it and headed straight for the surface.  By now I was completely shut down by fleas, and I saw a big silver flash behind the boat, then he was gone.  Before I could get that rig the rest of the way in, the port rigger starts pounding.  Again, the fleas bogged us down, and the fish shook free.

No hot lure - took shots on NK28 SSW, NK28 Glow w Green Spots, NK28 Watermelon, small Evil Eye Black/Purple Tape, reguar Evil Eye chart. w orange dots

Tired of peeling snot of the line, we switched to jigging.  I stung one in 110 FOW, then we headed in.

2/3 of my rigger rods were spooled with 10lb mono, and the other was with 30.  The fleas were noticeably better on the 30 lb.  My dipsy rods are spooled with 30 lb braid - shame on me for letting them soak as long as I did without checking them.  Moral of the story, switch to your summer flea line, or check them every so often if you're fishing the northern reaches of Cayuga.  Not sure how they are down south, should find out later this week.

Chris