In the thousand islands for the week

fisherman21

I'm far from an expert, but I've always had to go deep on that river to find fish in the summer.

I know they can be caught shallow, but I've had good luck finding big schools of bass in 30+ FOW .... almost always on deep water structure in current, like humps, rock piles, and steep breaks.

It's hard though, if you catch them in too deep of water they can die real easy.  Personally I don't like to mess with them any deeper than 35 or 40'

Large shoals close to deep water can be great early and late.

They can be found in usual haunts this time of year...... It seems that getting them to bite has been the trouble. Some days are better than others.... Really have to work for them this year..... This has been my experience so far this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Edited by EsoxAC3

I fished the River for a few days around Morristown this past weekend.

The fishing was slow.  I caught one nice walleye, three 4 pound bass, and two 2.5 pound bass.  The fish were pretty big, but they were really hard to find and I never caught more than one in a spot.

Lots and lots of moving around and fishing for hours on end without a single bite.

Maybe it was the late spawn, maybe it was the weather ..... or maybe the darn gobies are destroying the bass population. 

I was just at my place across from Carlton island. The wife and i fished 3days straight and only caught one nice small smallie. 18FOW drifting. I ended up going to an old go to weapon pink jig with a white mister twister tipped with a small piece of worm. post-140970-14394720507951_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app