Downrigger lingo question?

Hey guys... Newbie question here.

When people are writing about downrigger depths they're taking fish at, are they referring to the actual depth on sonar or with a probe, or are they talking about the amount of cable out?

I can't always see my weights on sonar and don't have a probe. My cable counter is the most reliable thing I have. I might have to upgrade to sharks or fish shape weights for less blowback.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Don't get too hung up on the exactness of he numbers too, the counter on your rigger will rarely if ever be exactly the depth you are.  Cable blow back from trolling speed and currents alone guarantee that, amongst other things.  These numbers get you in the right area of water and in most cases fish will move vertically to the lure a bit, the amount they will move will be based on there aggressiveness.  

To estimate your true depth (length of cable out) x( the cosign of the estimated angle of the cable) relative to 90 deg  (straight up and down). I found a chart on line for the cosigns of angles up to ~60 deg. Just google images- angle cosigns, and make a chart .

Edited by Steve.e

You guys get too technical.... Just put the balls where you mark fish and let em work. Kings will hit out of temp all the time if that's where the bait was... Fish the marks....

Sent from my VS980 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yup. :yes:

You guys get too technical.... Just put the balls where you mark fish and let em work. Kings will hit out of temp all the time if that's where the bait was... Fish the marks....

Matt is spot on! We took most of our shots this past weekend in 68 deg water! All number's wether they are rigger depth , amount of line out, or speed are all relevant. Those numbers are there to duplicate what you have done. Hence the reason why EVERY boat fishes different IMO!

I disagree, nobody from this site gets to technical!..........

Sent from my VS980 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

silverfoxcharters.net

Thanks for all the replies... I know there are a ton of factors that go into it, boat speed, ball weight + shape, current, etc... Just trying to get a general feel for what guys are posting so I can get myself set up and run... New to the game and super excited!

Thanks for all the replies... I know there are a ton of factors that go into it, boat speed, ball weight + shape, current, etc... Just trying to get a general feel for what guys are posting so I can get myself set up and run... New to the game and super excited!

yup this is my third summer fishing lady o but only my 4th trip ever. There is a ton to learn but it's fun no matter what