huge Atlantic oswego area

Heard similar report but have not seen any pics or true story. This past weekend there was a decent Atlantic caught out of sodus and according to DEC it was a Brown/Atlantic hybrid. Very interesting....... 

I don't believe a brown and an atlantic can mate to make a hybrid as their genetic makeup is too different.  I could make a correlation about humans and sheep ......but you get the picture  :shake:

Edited by Gill-T

I don't believe a brown and an atlantic can mate to make a hybrid as their genetic makeup is too different. I could make a correlation about humans and sheep ......but you get the picture :shake:

What he said! I would hope the DEC wouldn't make such a ridiculous claim.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Be careful guys, they use to be called the Genetically modified salmon or GM salmon and yes they can breed with trout to make a hybrid. There's a ton of research about it if you google it. Have no idea though how NYS got into the mix. For what's it worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I don't believe a brown and an atlantic can mate to make a hybrid as their genetic makeup is too different.  I could make a correlation about humans and sheep ......but you get the picture  :shake:

Atlantics are in the Salmo (trout) family and have been known to cross with their close relatives the brown trout:

1. ^ Youngson, A. F., Webb, J. H., Thompson, C. E., and Knox, D. 1993. Spawning of escaped farmed Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar): hybridization of females with brown trout (Salmo trutta). Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 50:1986-1990.
  2. Jump up ^ Matthews, M. A., Poole, W. R., Thompson, C. E., McKillen, J., Ferguson, A., Hindar, K., and Wheelan, K. F. 2000. Incidence of hybridization between Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar L., and brown trout, Salmo trutta L., in Ireland. Fisheries Management and Ecology, 7:337-347.

I believe this was the fish at this weekend's Salmon Slam that the DEC, who were at the Salmon Slam taking samples, said they believed was a hybrid between an Atlantic and Brown.  You'll notice the tail is flatter than your usual Atlantic...

WP_20150801_017.jpg

Atlantics are in the Salmo (trout) family and have been known to cross with their close relatives the brown trout:

1. ^ Youngson, A. F., Webb, J. H., Thompson, C. E., and Knox, D. 1993. Spawning of escaped farmed Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar): hybridization of females with brown trout (Salmo trutta). Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 50:1986-1990.
  2. Jump up ^ Matthews, M. A., Poole, W. R., Thompson, C. E., McKillen, J., Ferguson, A., Hindar, K., and Wheelan, K. F. 2000. Incidence of hybridization between Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar L., and brown trout, Salmo trutta L., in Ireland. Fisheries Management and Ecology, 7:337-347.

Thanks for posting that info.  Now we have another reason to misidentify browns and atlantics on the finger lakes forum. :lol:

Edited by Gill-T

I don't know about them weird fish in the water, but I have heard that some weird people keep on trying to cross breed with sheep.

WOW....nice !!

What he said! I would hope the DEC wouldn't make such a ridiculous claim. 

Oh, they did Paul.  I looked at it pretty close and the only thing she cited was that it had a more squared tail than she's expect from an Atlantic.  I wasn't seeing what she saw, but then again there is a reason I refinish furniture and she works for the DEC.  Granted it wasn't very forked, but it wasn't square either.