Flea deterant

I went through and replaced most of my lines with salt water line whatever they coat that with for saltwater seems to really help with keeping fleas off the line so i thought i wouod pass it on. Tight lines everybody

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Something you may wish to consider is whether ANY particular line or line diameter is a complete solution to the flea problem. Folks may be assuming that it is their particular "magical" line or its diameter that is providing a flea proof answer when in fact it is really that the fleas vary greatly in distribution and density throughout the water column and across the lakes for that matter. It could be just the particular area of the given lake or the way your lines go through the water and the particular water temps and thermocline location as much as the line material they are composed of or their specific diameter.There are some lines that seem to do a better job of keeping the fleas off (Sea Flee, and Flea Flicker etc.) but at the height of flea density nothing is totally immune to them (including 200 lb test downrigger wire). Some things are just somewhat better than others and there are also more than one type of water fleas which may be an additional factor.

Edited by Sk8man

Les is right!

I'm in the camp of the smoother and harder the line is the better. Size of line has some effect but hard smooth composition is what I believe to be the best repellent there is.

New line of any size over 30 lb is better just because it is smoother and less exposure to elements of nature to rough up the surface of the line. If you run your line for 2 or 3 seasons, it's gonna be dirty and rough. No two ways about it, that's what the fleas are sticking to. So when you replace line with new out of the box mono, you are getting the smooth hard composition that makes it slick. I think most of us are thinking that it is a particular line brand or line manufacturer that is the smoking gun on whacking the fleas off. To some extent yes, but it is new so we are sure to believe it was better than what was on there for the past 3 seasons. I have had 20 lb flea flicker that was 3 seasons old and it did worse than new 30 lb ande mono.

Face it ...old line grabs fleas cause it is rough and dirty ...new line will do better because it is clean out of the box.

I wish I could find some fly line treatment, apply it with a cleaning pad as the rigger goes down or up, and take my 3 season old mono out and run comparison to one not treated. I think it would help.

Certain kinds of line is more of a hard compound. Flourocarbon is one, Ande Monster Mono is another. And there are different kinds of fleas too. Some more PIA than others.