Stratamaster vs Magda Pro

The boat I got came with 3 rods and 4 reels.  The 2 reels are magda pro 30 and they're spooled with braid and mounted on the dipsey rod.  Other 2 reels are Stratamaster and they're also spooled with braid but mounted on the rigger rods.  

Question is, which is better for divers vs. rigger rods.  I've read a few reviews where people say the SM is better than the Magda.  Should I switch them over and put them on my diver rods?  Also, I did a couple of tests where I pulled out a bunch of line with the line counter reset and then reeled it back in to see if it would hit 0 again.  The magda failed badly every time.  The SM was almost dead on every time.  Is there any way to fix this?  

The boat I got came with 3 rods and 4 reels.  The 2 reels are magda pro 30 and they're spooled with braid and mounted on the dipsey rod.  Other 2 reels are Stratamaster and they're also spooled with braid but mounted on the rigger rods.  

Question is, which is better for divers vs. rigger rods.  I've read a few reviews where people say the SM is better than the Magda.  Should I switch them over and put them on my diver rods?  Also, I did a couple of tests where I pulled out a bunch of line with the line counter reset and then reeled it back in to see if it would hit 0 again.  The magda failed badly every time.  The SM was almost dead on every time.  Is there any way to fix this?  

I don't know anything about the two reels but if you reset the line counters each time before setting it out,it will work fine for you.

I don't know anything about the two reels but if you reset the line counters each time before setting it out,it will work fine for you.

But if I send it out and pull it back in and it doesn't hit zero...doesn't that mean there's an error in there somewhere?  How do I trust that the amount of line it says is actually out?  

How full are the spools? If it comes off and is tight then comes back on loose then it will effect the amount of line. How much is it off? Try this and compare the difference. Spool off 100' hit the reset then winde it back on see if it is off do the same thing again but 200 see if it is porportional to the 100'.

Sent from my thinking car!

The stratas are both within less than a foot.

The magda pros are both off by more.  One was off by 2 feet in 100 when letting line out, then 6 feet off reeling it back in.  The other was off by almost 20 feet in 100 letting it out and 60 feet off reeling it back in.  

I never did a 200 test.  

How full are the spools? If it comes off and is tight then comes back on loose then it will effect the amount of line. How much is it off? Try this and compare the difference. Spool off 100' hit the reset then winde it back on see if it is off do the same thing again but 200 see if it is porportional to the 100'.

Sent from my thinking car!

Depending on the magda model one is better than the other. The older ones leave a lot to be desired.  I have 3 seasons on my magda pro 30 series as dipsy reels with no issues.  The drags can go bad but are easy and cheap to replace yourself.

Edited by Chas0218

Ultimately the plan is to put all 4 of these reels on rigger or pnt to do so.  t not in the finances at the moment to do so.  t not in the finances at the moment to do so.  For now, the stratamasters will go on the wire.  The better of the two magdas will be used for the line counter and then the not so good one I will try to count passes for.  

Honestly rigger rods don't really need line counters. I just use the line pawl (line guide on the reel) as a line counter. Just see how much line comes off in one sweep of the pawl left to right.

Sent from my thinking chair...

Depending on the magda model one is better than the other. The older ones leave a lot to be desired.  I have 3 seasons on my magda pro 30 series as dipsy reels with no issues.  The drags can go bad but are easy and cheap to replace yourself.

Have they replaced the star wheel for drag adjustment with metal or is it still plastic? What about the reel spool itself is it still plastic?

No still plastic, I only had an issue with the non dx series drags sticking. I replaced them with carbon washers and they work great. They have the same drag star as the convectors I think.

Sent from my thinking chair...