Slow opener for me

We got 4 mallards and a woodie yesterday morning and a woodie and a mallard last night. Last night after we unloaded or guns, the ducks swarmed the roost. Hundreds of woodies and mallards arrived minutes after legal shooting time, many landing only a few feet away. It was a bit frustrating but a great show, We plan on returning on an overcast or rainy evening and hope they arrive a few minutes earlier. This morning we pulled and paddled the canoes into a huge marsh. It was a lot of work for this old arthritic guy and we only got 4 woodies and a mallard for our effort.post-144887-14439797647349_thumb.jpg

All considered it was a slow opening weekend for us but I feel fortunate any morning I get to see a marsh come to life!

Nice job Kevin, we shot 5 yesterday ourselves, 2 mallards and 3 woodies and today the kids shot 3 mallards and 1 woody..They flew better yesterday for us compared to today, more misses then what they connected with .. Sure was a lot of fun watching the kids enjoy themselves .

Nice going Kevin and great pic of the Lab....they are incredible dogs.

P.S. Were the ducks laughing on the way in after quitting time? :lol:

Hunted the slr both Friday and sat. First day we shot 2 mallards, a bonus bluebill and 2 woodducks. Should have shot more but the shooting was not up to mid season form. Second day we shot 3 mallards and a woodduck. Did not see many birds

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Hunted yesterday and this morning. Yesterday we limited on woodies (6) but saw hundreds of birds. We are returning there tomorrow morning with a better set up plan and high expectations. Today we got 4 mallards and 3 teal on another private marsh. Had to make a quick move to adjust to where they wanted in. If we had been there earlier we would have limited out. I'm very fortunate to be hunting with Gabe Ward who has a great dog and has done a great deal of work scouting out new areas. Being retired is certainly great for having time to do what I love but there old legs aren't what they use to be. Walking in marshes beats me up but I'm fortunate to still be at it.

Well the best laid plans didn't pan out this morning. Rather than the hundreds of ducks we saw on Wednesday, we only saw a fraction of them today. To make things worse they had a different flight pattern. We only ended up with 2 woodies, one that the dog found that was not shot by us.

We will try again this evening on the roost we hunted on Sunday. We are hoping the rain and clouds will bring them in a bit earlier.

Edited by Kevin J Legg

Congrats, Kevin.  I know what you mean about the old legs.  A young friend took me to his secret woody spot yesterday evening.  The marsh walk in & out just about killed me.  He got his 3 and I only got 1 but what a show right after sundown.  How are the goose numbers up your way?

The roost hunt was decent. Ended up with 5 woodies but again got to see a great show after shooting hours. Unfortunately we did loose a few birds that even Bailey couldn't retrieve.

Lots of geese in the area now that season is closed. That wraps up the early season for me.