life jacket law

tbulhead

It's funny NY State does not make people wear life jackets while ice fishing, but if you're in a boat at that time it's the law. I am also surprised the government does not make everyone wear bubble wrap for our own safety. Maybe my sarcastic views of being over regulated is getting to me.

The winter life jacket law was enacted to spare search and rescue units from spending excessive time searching in the worst weather conditions. The cold water prevents the decay of human bodies to surface and things are bad enough with a drowning and more drownings are not needed. Why make things worse?

Without a life jacket in 39 degree water you survive for maybe 10 minutes. With a life jacket you survive for up to 2 hours. Of course it is your right as a free man to die in freezing water and have a lot of people come out and search for you thereby risking their own lives while you are already dead. But why not be free and alive?

Although I was obviously joking above.... it is no joke actually going into cold water. I've been in twice through the ice and once it was up to my chin at 17 degrees outside temp alone in the early morning with a snowmobile suit and "moon boots" on. My son and I now wear buoyant suits out there and I always wear my life jacket fishing in cold weather or fishing alone even in summer. If I had reached the deeper water where I wanted to fish I would now be history.....something to think about....

Edited by Sk8man

I walleye fish in cold - frigid rivers and have fallen in twice.  Once was cold and once was frigid.  Both times I had my life jacket on and I know that it saved me.

If you don't thinks so...  Tie a rope to something on land (and hold on to it) and walk out into the water above your waders.  Try to get out.  After you give up - use the rope.  Try it in summer so you don't get cold.

Unless you are100% sure no one will mourn you...  Dead is Dead - Free or Enslaved.  Wear the life jacket.