troll with or against current?

geezer

Seems like some advice  I've seen on this site say to troll against the current. If so what I do after making my slow S turns for long enough to head back towards home base? Add a little speed with the current? Or does it not really not make much difference?

Seems like some advice  I've seen on this site say to troll against the current. If so what I do after making my slow S turns for long enough to head back towards home base? Add a little speed with the current? Or does it not really not make much difference?

Depends on the day - current direction and speed can change often.   Had one day of Oz where we would barely move into it, and damn near put off a wake going with it.

If you don't have downspeed, start at the same speed as you trolled into the current and keep making "S" turns.  Keep an eye if you take a shot on the inside/outside, will tell you to go faster or slower.  Bump your speed up every 15-20 mins until you start moving rods.  Or you could save gas money and buy a FishHawk :lol:

Don't get in a habit of trolling exclusively with/against the current.  Find the angle/speed they like and work it.  If you find bait, work it. If you find fish, work it.  Put the pieces together and fill the box.  Easier said than done.

Change things up and try to see what works and try to duplicate it. Circumstances change. So does your techniques need to. Dont be rigid and not try something different and totally out of the box. This is why it is called fishing and not catching. No exact science here.

• 4 weeks later...